Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maple Syrup Fermentation  (Read 4014 times)

Offline BigFish333

• 1st Kit
Maple Syrup Fermentation
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:32:31 pm »
Hi Guys, I'm new here and new to mead making.  I have my first 1 gallon batch of orange mead fermenting like crazy now (2 wks old) and I'm going to start a second batch today.  I was thinking, I have a lot of maple syrup I got from NY.  It's a light amber grade A and I have gallons of it.  It's from a small Amish farm in Northern New York and thus organic.  My brother knows the farmer.  Anyway, how would I go about using this sugar source to make mead either with some honey or as a stand alone fermentation?  Any ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline willm85

• 1st Kit
    • Beertastic Voyage Podcast
Re: Maple Syrup Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:11:30 am »
I don't really recall the particulars but check out this podcast from Basic Brewing.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr05-22-14maplewine.mp3

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:14:36 am »
Got this by searching for maple wine. Many of the participants are active here, so I'm sure they will have more to say.

Maple Wine

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehomebrewersassociation%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D14020&share_tid=14020&share_fid=40079&share_type=t

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:36:40 am »
The next time I brew a brown ale I plan to rack a gallon or so into a separate fermenter and add some maple syrup.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 06:23:36 pm »
The darker the better when it comes to maple syrup for brewing. I've used grade B syrup for my maple wine. If you have a lighter syrup, you might lose a lot of maple character in fermentation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »
The technical term for what you're trying to brew is "acerglyn".  Search with that term and you'll find quite a bit of info.  Let us know how it turns out.  I've only used maple syrup as a late addition in a porter brewed with maple sap in place of brewing water.  It was decent, but I didn't like the thinness of body and extract-like twang it gave the beer.  It definitely boosted the alcohol content though, which is why my Minnesota redneck cousins liked it enough to kill the batch for me.