Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1318  (Read 1811 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
Wyeast 1318
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:52:32 am »
I have two bottles mild that i brewed with WY 1318 and i was thinking of using the dregs to make a new starter. Anyone has any experience making more yeast from dregs using 1318?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Wyeast 1318
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:26 am »
The process and results will be the same as harvesting from the dregs of any other sacc strain. What you harvest will only be as clean and pure as the yeast that went into the bottle and your harvest procedure.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
If your sanitation is good, then you should be just fine. I have often used my own bottle-conditioned beer as a bank for yeast strains with limited availability. Just be sure to pay exceptional attention to your sanitation, and step up the starter slowly over a few steps and you'll be fine.

I start by adding about 15 ml of starter wort to a equal amount of beer/dregs in the bottle. That will give you a small starter that has been diluted to half-strength, and still has some alcohol and a lower pH to protect it while the yeast get going slowly. Then I pitch that (after about 5 days) to about 150 ml of normal starter wort, and then step it up once again if needed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »
If your sanitation is good, then you should be just fine. I have often used my own bottle-conditioned beer as a bank for yeast strains with limited availability. Just be sure to pay exceptional attention to your sanitation, and step up the starter slowly over a few steps and you'll be fine.

I start by adding about 15 ml of starter wort to a equal amount of beer/dregs in the bottle. That will give you a small starter that has been diluted to half-strength, and still has some alcohol and a lower pH to protect it while the yeast get going slowly. Then I pitch that (after about 5 days) to about 150 ml of normal starter wort, and then step it up once again if needed.

Great tip thanks!