Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY bazooka or store bought  (Read 3555 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: DIY bazooka or store bought
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 11:34:36 am »
I'm in an apartment, no stump to hatchet on.

Last time I used a hacksaw. That resulted in many stainless steel slivers. Bolt cutters would work nicely, but I don't have those.

Understood
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 04:46:15 am »
I've already been through two stainless braids.

First one I wrapped in tape and cut with a death wheel, ala how they tell you to cut braided steel for AN fittings on cars...worked great till I removed the tape. Without a solid core the whole thing expanded and made a mess.

Second time around I just use a pair of wire cutters. One cut from each side was enough.

And yes, getting a better braided line would make my brewday easier...nobody wants to vorlauf forever...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 05:04:44 am »
I've used both and find I like the bazooka screen best.  The braid worked alright but I found it difficult to clean and get all the little pieces out and I didn't like it falling out and getting caught in the grain when I tipped it to empty.  Just a couple convenience things.

I usually only have to run off two half gallon pitchers of wort before it clears and sometimes its just one pitchers worth.  My efficiency seems to improve with the bazooka screen also...a few points.  Not huge and not really sure why.
Fermenting/Aging: IPA, Blonde ale, Spiced Holiday ale, Citra Hefeweizen, Cider, Munich Dunkel, Coffee Oatmeal Stout,

On Tap: Pale ale, RIS, Wee Heavy, Belgian Tripel

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 06:48:54 am »
If you are getting particles when using hose braid, it sounds like there is a gap somewhere. You can 'realign' the wires by stretching and compressing the braid a few times. That should help.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 12:01:32 pm »
YOu gys with the hose braid, what is your drain diameter?  If I use 1/2" with bazooka, it gets stuck, so I stick to 3/8" but 'tis slow. Curious if hose braid might work.  Trying to speed things up. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 12:09:51 pm »
YOu gys with the hose braid, what is your drain diameter?  If I use 1/2" with bazooka, it gets stuck, so I stick to 3/8" but 'tis slow. Curious if hose braid might work.  Trying to speed things up.

I use 3/8 hose braid.  Draining takes maybe 3 minutes.  Total time to vorlauf and drain mash, stir in sparge water, and vorlauf and drain sparge is around 12-15 min. for 7.5-8 gal. of wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell