Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming Sugar  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Priming Sugar
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:54:36 pm »
Bottle Conditioning:  I have always used raw cane sugar for my priming. I am curious if anyone has noticed any differences from the different sugars out there for this use?  What about DME?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Priming Sugar
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:07:04 pm »
I switched from dextrose (expensive at the LHBS) to table salt and have not noticed any difference. Very happy with the change
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:08:32 pm »
I switched from dextrose (expensive at the LHBS) to table salt and have not noticed any difference. Very happy with the change
Don't use salt! ;)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »
oops, table sugar. That I would have noticed a difference on, thanks Stevie
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:15:05 pm »
Bottle Conditioning:  I have always used raw cane sugar for my priming. I am curious if anyone has noticed any differences from the different sugars out there for this use?  What about DME?

Years ago I did an experiment using different things for priming...varieties of sugar, DME, honey, force carbing...after a suitable period to allow them all to go into solution, no one could tell one from the other or had a preference for any of them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:38:31 pm »
It's kind of what I was thinking but didn't know for sure. Thought maybe the DME could change the mouthfeel. Definitely not worth the cost change.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:59:34 am »
It's kind of what I was thinking but didn't know for sure. Thought maybe the DME could change the mouthfeel. Definitely not worth the cost change.

You use so little of any priming that it really has little to no effect on beer quality.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 11:56:08 am »

You use so little of any priming that it really has little to no effect on beer quality.

What Denny said. I usually use corn sugar, but if low or out of it I'll use whatever I've got on hand and have never noticed any difference.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »
I use organic corn sugar just because I have it around and after putting all good ingredients in my beer I always hated using a crappy corn product. The important thing is to use a calculator to get the right amount of whatever. Measure by weight if you can.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:22 pm »

This gave me a good chuckle.  Sounds like something the guys at my local club meetings would do just to try something new.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »
I use dextrose simply because of habit. In the end, I doubt anyone can tell the difference. The only difference might come from using DME, which can throw a ring of debris around the neck of the bottle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:34 pm »
When using dextrose does one boil water and then make a "syrup" or would rack into bottling bucket on to dry?

If you make a "syrup" what's a good ratio?

R,
Curtis
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »
No syrup.  Just boil enough to dissolve, pour into bottling bucket and rack on top.  Or pour sugar solution in after beer and gently stir.  I haven't bottled in so long I can't remember the ratio I want to say it was 2/3 cup of for a 5 gallon batch of beer.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 03:13:31 pm »
Thanks man,

Same thing I do 50mil h20 to 2oz of dextrose. I had to ask being there are so many ways to do things and so many different opinions.

R,
Curtis
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 03:19:08 pm »
It has been a good long time since I bottled, but I naturally carbonate my kegs sometimes and always use about 1/2 cup of water and some sugar, boil it and then let it cool a bit (not all the way to room temp), then I toss it in and give it a swirl.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.