Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY bazooka or store bought  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Arsuf476

• 1st Kit
DIY bazooka or store bought
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:53:27 pm »
So I am making the switch from BIAB to a cooler MLT. Considering a diy bazooka screen but my LHS has a built one for $18 ish, one inch diameter screen about 12-15" long. Any reason to go with the store bought over the converted water supply line?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: DIY bazooka or store bought
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:57:14 pm »
It's a preference thing. I have two tuns, one with each type. Both work fine.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:24:48 am »
damn! I thought this post was going to be more along the line of potato gun bazooka stuff....  :(
thought the brew forum was finally going to get interesting.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:10:11 am »
Both work, but I find that using a hose braid lets through fewer fines than a Bazooka does, resulting in faster wort clearing.  Not a huge deal, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 12:45:54 pm »
Denny, do you get clear wort from your cooler MT? Or just cloudy with no grain particles?

My wort always runs off cloudy.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »
Denny, do you get clear wort from your cooler MT? Or just cloudy with no grain particles?

That depends on a lot of other things besides the lautering system.  If I nail my pH and the stars are aligned, I get crystal clear runoff that you could read a newspaper through.  That's about 90% of the time.  The rest of the time it may be cloudy, but there are no grain particles.  That's the real objective.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:24 pm »

That depends on a lot of other things besides the lautering system.  If I nail my pH and the stars are aligned, I get crystal clear runoff that you could read a newspaper through.  That's about 90% of the time.  The rest of the time it may be cloudy, but there are no grain particles.  That's the real objective.

And do you really notice any difference in the final product either way?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »

And do you really notice any difference in the final product either way?

Nope...not at all.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 03:58:24 pm »
Same here.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 05:11:25 pm »
I've yet to get clear runoff from my cooler. I'm thinking the braid I used is "looser" than usual, takes forever for the grain bits to stop.

May not make a difference in the long run, but if another $10 hose makes my brew day go easier...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 09:59:32 pm »
It wont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:18 am »
It wont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Don't know why you say that...try this...Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 10:29:26 am »
I will confirm that the braid on that brand is of a higher quality than what I use currently. Flexible, tight weave, less crush prone than mine

The PIA process of removing the fittings and tube have deterred me from switching.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:47:23 am »
I will confirm that the braid on that brand is of a higher quality than what I use currently. Flexible, tight weave, less crush prone than mine

The PIA process of removing the fittings and tube have deterred me from switching.

If I can do it, anyone can!  Chop off the ends with a hatchet.  Push each end of the braid toward the center to expand it.  Pull out the inner tube.  Fold one end of the braid over.  Attach the other end to your cooler drain.  That's it.  Less than 10 min.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 11:03:38 am »
I'm in an apartment, no stump to hatchet on.

Last time I used a hacksaw. That resulted in many stainless steel slivers. Bolt cutters would work nicely, but I don't have those.