Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey! I know that guy!  (Read 1178 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: Hey! I know that guy!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 06:58:44 pm »
Your killing independent Tommy!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:22:20 pm »
I think they already targeted me… my Amazon Prime Account has been suspended until I “click on this link” to resolve the issue. (Disregard all the typos in the email)

…and my Apple purchase of a video game was a success. “Click here if you didn’t make this purchase.”

Only problem is: my Amazon acct is not locked and I didn’t buy a video game.

I ain’t clicking crap. 🪤

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 05:58:58 am »
No that wasn't the Russians - that was China, North Korea, Iran or some kid in his parents' basement in Hackensack. 
The article forgets to mention that cyber attacks are used because the origin carries a degree of deniability / ambiguity.  The Russian "criminal hackers" are used because Putin denies they have any connection to the government.  Exposing the truth reveals sources and methods...the perfect path to sew confusion in a free society while operating in a totalitarian one. 

The challenge is how to respond - do you nuke them cause they hacked your iTunes?  Chemical and bio weapons cause a similar - but more sinister - problem...  this is my life every day, I can't wait to retire, 3 more months...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 06:57:07 am »
https://www.uah.edu/news/items/could-russian-hackers-mess-with-huntsville?fbclid=IwAR1L1SQSrdx5j_vwwmlNz2EJUmMb0W4j7MuA0o1VyGNCch4g3HWGg8xoXWs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My worlds are colliding!

https://youtu.be/uPG3YMcSvzo

Forgot to motion to you that the guy who wrote the article (Jim Steele) and I have been friends for years. we worked at the Times together. It's amazing how small Hsv is.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 06:58:19 am »

My worlds are colliding!

Definitely an interesting and thought provoking article.  Tommy, can I ask you your thoughts on Xfinity’s home Wi-Fi security?  I have on may occasions received notifications from Xfinity that they have “blocked intrusions” into my home network.  I don’t know if the intrusions are real or the notifications are BS trying to make me feel more secure while I pay for their service.  I also run Norton 360.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 06:26:43 pm »

My worlds are colliding!

Definitely an interesting and thought provoking article.  Tommy, can I ask you your thoughts on Xfinity’s home Wi-Fi security?  I have on may occasions received notifications from Xfinity that they have “blocked intrusions” into my home network.  I don’t know if the intrusions are real or the notifications are BS trying to make me feel more secure while I pay for their service.  I also run Norton 360.
Apparently, Xfinity is blocking malware, detecting unusual behavior, and network attempts to access smart devices (cameras, door bells, etc). All that sounds proactive.  If all is working for you then I recommend not changing anything.  The “unusual behavior” is detected with artificial intelligence. That can block sites to trust. If that starts to happen you may need to configure the xFi advanced security.

Do the alerts you’re getting tell you action is needed? According to Xfinity they have two types of alerts. (1) awareness only; you attempt to go to a dangerous site, maybe you clicked a bad link or just went to a bad place. (2) action needed: these supposedly tell you what action to take to resolve the issue.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 06:27:36 pm »
https://www.uah.edu/news/items/could-russian-hackers-mess-with-huntsville?fbclid=IwAR1L1SQSrdx5j_vwwmlNz2EJUmMb0W4j7MuA0o1VyGNCch4g3HWGg8xoXWs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My worlds are colliding!

Forgot to motion to you that the guy who wrote the article (Jim Steele) and I have been friends for years. we worked at the Times together. It's amazing how small Hsv is.
Jim talks about you. He knows I brew so he mentions you.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 08:26:08 pm »
OK that's probably a little creepy.  ;)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 05:38:14 am »

My worlds are colliding!

Apparently, Xfinity is blocking malware, detecting unusual behavior, and network attempts to access smart devices (cameras, door bells, etc). All that sounds proactive.  If all is working for you then I recommend not changing anything.  The “unusual behavior” is detected with artificial intelligence. That can block sites to trust. If that starts to happen you may need to configure the xFi advanced security.

Do the alerts you’re getting tell you action is needed? According to Xfinity they have two types of alerts. (1) awareness only; you attempt to go to a dangerous site, maybe you clicked a bad link or just went to a bad place. (2) action needed: these supposedly tell you what action to take to resolve the issue.

Thank you for your information.  Typically, the notifications we receive tells us “additional attention is needed”.  At which time, I simply reboot our Windows 10 PC (per xFi instruction) and we live happily ever after; until we get another notification.  They usually come in spirts — I’ll get a few in a 3-4 day period, then nothing for many weeks.

Edit: the threat is always our Windows 10 PC.  Never any of my other device or my Windows 7 PC.  I have about 20+ devices on my home network.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:43:14 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉