Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: floor malted wheat and pilsner  (Read 2498 times)

Offline shotfun

• 1st Kit
floor malted wheat and pilsner
« on: October 16, 2016, 07:52:16 pm »
good evening/morning/day, I'm curious about floor malted products as opposed to non floor malted products.   is there a big difference and if not, what can i substitute for a "floor malted bohemian wheat"   

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: floor malted wheat and pilsner
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:26:03 pm »
You can sub standard wheat malt and pilsner malt. Floor malted grains are prepared using more traditional techniques with heirloom varieties.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/news.asp?go=ne&show=yes&idne=1639&umenue=yes&idmenue=&sprache=

Offline shotfun

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:38:33 am »
thanks a bunch. so basically its more of a traditional process and allows us as a brewer to dig in and do things in the way it had been done in the past. i appreciate the link, it makes it very clear.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:43:01 am »
thanks a bunch. so basically its more of a traditional process and allows us as a brewer to dig in and do things in the way it had been done in the past. i appreciate the link, it makes it very clear.

The malting process done in a more historical way to produce an end product that is more similar those same malts of many years ago versus what is generated today with the technological advances.  As end users of the malted barley, we don't really get to "dig in" to any different processes but perhaps our end products will have a different nuance from using them (sometimes it's noticeable and sometimes not).

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:47:53 am »
I would be VERY surprised if anyone could tell the difference between a beer made with floor malted grain as opposed to non floor malted grain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:49:10 am »
I'm sure plenty of people could if presented with two beers, but I doubt many could if just tasting a single beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:44:12 pm »
This would make for an excellent Brülosophy xBmt

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »
I'll still take that bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:18 am »
One of my expert clubmates likes to characterize floor malted products as being less uniform in comparison to the typical drum malted versions. So, in a way, the difference might be better described as having a wider range of modification on the malt kernels. That could provide some difference in the beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 08:51:26 am »
I think freshness trumps variety/origin all day long but you might be able to make some parallels as to what is fresher.  IE I think the fancy stuff like Barke might better than plain ole pils simply since it "moves" faster (fresher) and not because it's heirloom/floor malted/etc.  I experimented with "re-kilning" plain jane Briess 2 row and I really think I am onto something.  I am fairly convinced a huge gap exists between the homebrew world and pro breweries.  Over in Germany many of the breweries malt their own whereas average german wheat malt from the LHBS is likely a few years old. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH