Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bohemian ale? Does this sound like a good idea?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Bohemian ale? Does this sound like a good idea?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:46 am »
I 100% disagree.  If you make a clean ale with proper fermentation who cares if its 34/70 or a clean ale strain.  A snob would care, and I gotta tell ya, if you are brewing for a snob you're always doing it wrong...

They taste different; I don't care about the authenticity of using one type of yeast over another.

Conventional homebrewing wisdom has always been if you can't get into the 40s get into the upper 50s with US05 to emulate a lager because supposedly no lager strain could ferment that warm without creating a myriad of off-flavors. But that has been discovered to be untrue, at least for some strains (particularly 3470). Brewers without temperature control are not limited to ale yeast but are still welcome to that option if they prefer.
Agree with all of this and two things to add:

A) The colder you can pitch, the cleaner the lager ferment will be (even if you can't maintain those temps). If you can chill to the 45F-50F range before pitching, then that is a big help.

B) WY2007 is another lager yeast that stays damn clean even up to 60F.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Bohemian ale? Does this sound like a good idea?
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:19 pm »
Well, yes you can absolutely taste something that resembles a Bohemian Pilsner by fermenting cool with a clean ale yeast. Mixing 2-row with pilsner malt and using a blend of lots of noble-type hops may make something more hop-forward and blond ale-like than a true Pilsner Urquell mock-lager clone (which would be mostly pils and saaz). But since it seems like you just want something yellow, crisp, and balanced, then you'll be fine. If it was me, I would do something like this and call it "Bohemian Fraud" or "The Unbearable Lightness of Beering":

Pilsner malt
~.5 lbs carafoam/carapils
Saur/Acid malt (if necessary for pH)
~1.048

~30 IBU from 60/90 min addition of clean-bittering hops
~1 oz noble-type hops at 10 min
~1 oz noble-type hops at flameout (hop stand)

Ferment cool (Pacman/Joystick would be my first choice, US-05/Chico would be my second)
Cold crash and fine aggressively
Pour it foamy