Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 National Hombrew Gold Medal Recipes - question on volume size  (Read 3567 times)

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
I was hoping to try out some of the recipes from the gold medal winners from the recent Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2016 issue. When it says "for 5.625 U.S. gallons" for example, is that the amount at the end of the boil? Or is it the amount that should end up in the fermenter? Or some other stage perhaps? Thanks for any insight!

Excited to try out Tom Thorpe's English Pale Ale!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 2016 National Hombrew Gold Medal Recipes - question on volume size
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:33:17 am »
Likely end of boil.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:42 am »
Likely end of boil.

My assumption, too.
Jon H.

Offline Dave Carpenter

• Zymurgy editor
  • Administrator
  • Cellarman
  • Zymurgy editor
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:14:14 am »
I was hoping to try out some of the recipes from the gold medal winners from the recent Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2016 issue. When it says "for 5.625 U.S. gallons" for example, is that the amount at the end of the boil? Or is it the amount that should end up in the fermenter? Or some other stage perhaps? Thanks for any insight!

Excited to try out Tom Thorpe's English Pale Ale!

Yep, unless stated otherwise, it's safe to assume end of boil. Let us know how it turns out for you. I've had my eyes on that one. The Mosaic and Wyeast 1469 sound like a fun combo!
Editor, Zymurgy and AHA Special Projects
American Homebrewers Association

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:41:36 am »
Nice, I'll go for end of boil then. Thanks for the replies!

Dave, not that I'm at the level to be tweaking others' recipes but I was going to switch out the Mosaic for all Nelson (if I can get it). I love Mosaic too but I've been wanting to brew an all-Nelson batch for a while now.
Sorry it won't be Mosaic-related but I'll still post my results! Who knows, my LHBS might not have Nelson and I'll have to use Mosaic. Either way, I'll let you guys know. Thanks again!

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:40:54 pm »
Sorry, I never let you guys know how this turned out! My LHBS did have Nelson and this was great! Thanks Tom Thorpe! (His "Golden Delight" is the middle one. Other beers are stout on left and saison on right.)

Next up - Nick Corona's "Barb's Hef"! It calls for 6.5g of CaCl. Does anyone know if that assumes RO/Distilled 100%? Because if I do that I'm at Ca - 50ppm, Cl - 100 and SO4 - 0 and a mash pH around 5.7. Is that right? Thanks for any tips!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »
Great picture! I would like one of each please...