Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overcarbonation (bottles)  (Read 1284 times)

Offline carlo

• 1st Kit
Overcarbonation (bottles)
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:30:35 am »
The f.g. of my last IPA was 1.014, constant for two weeks. Therefore I bottled it into 0.5 L bottles. The taste was excellent according to a friend who is a qualified beer-sommelier. However when you opened the bottle you had to be ready with a pitcher to collect the the foam / beer. After approx, 10 min you could fill into glasses. How can I avoid overcarbonation? In my case I added priming sugar to most bottles and zero sugar in the rest. In both a lot of foam resulted.
Thanks for tips!
Carlo Voellmy, Switzerland

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Overcarbonation (bottles)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 07:51:50 am »
What was the volume of beer bottled and how much sugar did you use?

You mention you added sugar to only some bottles, zero sugar to others, yet the bottles without sugar are still overcarbed. This tells me infection.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Overcarbonation (bottles)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:34:07 pm »
What temperature are the bottles when you open them?

You said you added the sugar directly to the bottles. Were you careful to measure the proper amount?  How much sugar did you add?  What was the reasoning you didn't prime all of the bottles?

Are you certain the beer tastes right?  Gushing bottles are typically a sign of infection.  Wild yeasts typically impart a phenolic flavor, which can taste medicinal, smokey, or clove-like. Did they in any way remind you of Belgian beers?

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge