Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Super Pima®  (Read 5364 times)

The Beerery

Super Pima®
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:54:32 am »
I have been playing with trying to get the malt right for these beers for quite some time. I found the more I tightened up my system the more the malts I was using tasted wrong. Vima was giving me way to much fresh dough, even at 5%. Muma was adding a weird slight sour twang, along with a muddy flavor, and it was not what I was tasting in the beers I love. We had always previously joked about a super pima, so thats where this name came from. I did a bunch of looking into things, and determined that I wanted to blend pima with as similar a malt like it I could. I know Steve looked into blending it will pale ale malt, so I started there, but didn't have to go far, because it was a home run.

Enter the pima/pale ale super pima blend®. Which is the pima of your choice(I use Barke exclusivly), and Weyermann's pale ale malt. Working with Big monk, we came up with a really easy way to blend these malts( more on that coming soon). Personally I use a 50/50 blend of the 2 and am blown away with the results. Its like pima on steroids, with none of the other flavors I was getting with the addition of the other malts. The pale ale malts lend amazing foam properties as well.

My Pilsner is simply a 50/50 blend. Here is a sample that is currently fermenting for color

Here is a sample of an Export Helles with a 50/50 blend:

The color of the beers with the blend is pretty much spot on when comparing to commercial examples as are the malt flavors.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Super Pima®
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:07:33 am »
Interesting.  I made something that I called an "American Premium" lager earlier this year.  I used 50% Barke Pils (which I love and will probably use exclusively going forward) along with 50% Rahr pale ale malt.  That made up the "base malt" and then I used a pound of flaked corn and some carafoam (4 ounces) as well.  My aim was to make a light lager with an American twist but clearly not a clone of Bud Light.  I was blown away by how good it was and the splitting of the base malt was done as a way to make the beer more "American" as opposed to having too much continental pilsner character.  I did it completely off the top of my head and I'll probably do it again coming up here shortly with another lager.  How about Barke + Golden Promise or Maris Otter? 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:13:44 am »
Interesting.  I made something that I called an "American Premium" lager earlier this year.  I used 50% Barke Pils (which I love and will probably use exclusively going forward) along with 50% Rahr pale ale malt.  That made up the "base malt" and then I used a pound of flaked corn and some carafoam (4 ounces) as well.  My aim was to make a light lager with an American twist but clearly not a clone of Bud Light.  I was blown away by how good it was and the splitting of the base malt was done as a way to make the beer more "American" as opposed to having too much continental pilsner character.  I did it completely off the top of my head and I'll probably do it again coming up here shortly with another lager.  How about Barke + Golden Promise or Maris Otter?

I think its open for trials with anything, I stick to german malts and maltsters, well because.. You know  8)

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:14:32 am »
The aforementioned Pils from above is going into lagering:

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:18:08 am »
Gonna keep that in mind. The helles makes sense, but I'm a little surprised at the 50/50 with a pils. I'm definitely gonna try it. Thanks for the info.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:19:08 am »
Gonna keep that in mind. The helles makes sense, but I'm a little surprised at the 50/50 with a pils. I'm definitely gonna try it. Thanks for the info.

Well to be honest the helles had 3% carahell as well. The pils though was just 50/50.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:20:12 am »

Well to be honest the helles had 4% carahell as well. The pils though was just 50/50.

Yeah I've been using carahell in helles as well. Excited to try it out.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:13 am »
Here's a shot of the one I made 50/50 with Barke and Rahr.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 01:31:08 pm »
By the way, I am not familiar with these terms... Pima, Vima, Muma.  What is this?
Ken from Chicago. 

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »
By the way, I am not familiar with these terms... Pima, Vima, Muma.  What is this?

These terms are shorthand for various malt types:

Pima=Pilsner malt
Vima=Vienna
Muma=Munich
CH=Carahell
CM=CaraMunich
CS=Carafa Special
Etc.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 01:46:04 pm »

These terms are shorthand for various malt types:

Pima=Pilsner malt
Vima=Vienna
Muma=Munich
CH=Carahell
CM=CaraMunich
CS=Carafa Special
Etc.
Cool, thanks Big Monk.  Here, let me try a few:

Pama = Pale Ale Malt
Moma = Maris Otter Malt
Gpma = Golden Promise Malt
Whma = Wheat Malt

:D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 04:43:06 pm »
Another question... were you finding that a beer made with 100% pilsner malt was "too much of something" or that it was "boring" and one-dimensional?  Since pale ale malts seem to have a relatively neutral character but with some good depth, I could see it working with Pilsner malt. 
Ken from Chicago. 

The Beerery

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 04:54:39 pm »
Another question... were you finding that a beer made with 100% pilsner malt was "too much of something" or that it was "boring" and one-dimensional?  Since pale ale malts seem to have a relatively neutral character but with some good depth, I could see it working with Pilsner malt.

Definitely flat and lacking flavor. It was also just a shade darker than water.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Super Pima®
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »
It was also just a shade darker than water.
LOL Bud Light

Edit:  in my opinion and the opinion of many brewers blending different base malts is a good way to add complexity and depth of flavor without the cloying sweetness one risk getting using specialty malts such as crystal/caramel malts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:48:53 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

The Beerery

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 07:10:07 pm »
For serious!...