Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour Dough  (Read 1635 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Sour Dough
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:32:57 pm »
I always wondered if a saison brett would make a good sour dough starter.  Make a traditional equal parts all purpose flour and water starter.  Blend with a vial of yeast and make a batch of sour dough.  Or likewise with Bavarian wheat yeast strains...  A banana bread with 3068??
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

Re: Sour Dough
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:03:07 pm »
I always wondered if a saison brett would make a good sour dough starter.  Make a traditional equal parts all purpose flour and water starter.  Blend with a vial of yeast and make a batch of sour dough.  Or likewise with Bavarian wheat yeast strains...  A banana bread with 3068??

The wild yeast present in the flour create the sour culture already... If you want to get crazy just use fruits, uncrushed grain, etc.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sour Dough
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:06:59 pm »

The wild yeast present in the flour create the sour culture already... If you want to get crazy just use fruits, uncrushed grain, etc.

Oh I know that, I was just saying that it would be a fun experiement to blend the already made starter.  I make sourdough loafs every year for turkey day.  I have always wanted to try blending the two (1 natural sour culture with 2 a brett blend) and see what the flavor profile would be.  If you could pick up and phenolic ester flavors in the aroma/flavor of the bread.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)