Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SPIKE SYSTEMS  (Read 4655 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
SPIKE SYSTEMS
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:25:26 pm »
I was just checking options for electric system and i just checked the Spike System:

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/spike-systems

They look really good and i read that their kettles have really good reviews. What's your opinion of this system?. I know one can go the DIY route and save money building your own, but i rather but an already assembled system.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: SPIKE SYSTEMS
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:15:31 pm »
That's pretty awesome. Sure one could save money, but hours of work and having a knowledgeable electrician triple check your work is costly too.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:56:02 am »
I'll start out by saying I'm glad they changed their logo. It may only be cosmetic, but I wouldn't want some guys dog all over my brewing equipment. Aside from that, they seem to have some nice setups. And I agree, if you can swing it, I would also grab up a prepackaged system that has been designed, tested and ready to go.

Offline bodysurfer19

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:10:55 am »
I bought 2-15 gallon 1st generation Spike Kettles and 1 of them spalled...the stainless steel deteriorated and caused 2 spots on the bottom of 1 of the kettles. I contacted Spike and they said, "...we don't use the same manufacturer anymore. We can discount $50 off of a new one." What do I do with the old $300 kettle that spalled? Make it a flower pot? Poor customer service!! Beware!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 09:29:13 am »
I've been nothing but happy with my gen3 kettle and their service. $50 seems a bit cheap to me, they should have at least offered you half back.

The one comment I have about using the gen3 for electric is they are heavy with the clad bottom. A clad bottom isn't needed for electric as they are using it.

Offline ghandlin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:48:02 am »
Looks like an exact copy of theelectricbrewery.com. I'm in the process of building one out myself. I'm using Blichmann kettles that I picked up used for half price.

Offline Kraft Farm Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:09:39 am »
Does anyone have one of these ? I realize they are pretty new so maybe not. I just sold my 10 gallon Brew Easy and am very interested in ordering of of these. Just wanted to know if anyone had any feedback.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:49:53 am »
It's basically a turnkey electric brewery. I have one kettle and have been very happy with it. Their welds are perfect. I'm sure it's a fine system for someone that doesn't want to wire their own panel.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:24 am »
Looks like an exact copy of theelectricbrewery.com. I'm in the process of building one out myself. I'm using Blichmann kettles that I picked up used for half price.

I'm very happy with my build from theelectricbrewery.com.  Been using it for 4 years now.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 05:36:20 am »
Just ordered the 20 gallon system yesterday.  8)

Offline rickconlin07

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »
Have you used it yet?

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:25 am »
Have you used it yet?

Haven't even received it yet. They said its normally a two week lead time but the holiday might extend a little more. Last I heard they were working it and thought it would ship the end of last week. I have been pacing the floor waiting  ::)

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:45 am »
My system came in last week. I was shorted two cables needed to plug the pumps in to the control panel but Spike's customer service got back to me quickly and had them drop shipped from the panel supplier. They also did not have the 3 piece valve assemblies so they shipped the system with 2 piece valves. They let me know about this ahead of time. Their customer service person has been great about keeping me informed every step of the way. They are shipping me the three piece valves this week.

I spent last weekend putting the system together and by Sunday I was able to brew a batch of a pale ale. Everything worked excellent (except for me having to turn the pumps on and off by unplugging them from an extension cord) It will take me some time to dial everything in and get used to it but so far I really like it. The panel makes it very easy to monitor al the temps and it holds temp perfectly. Looking forward to many more batches out of this !

Have you used it yet?

Haven't even received it yet. They said its normally a two week lead time but the holiday might extend a little more. Last I heard they were working it and thought it would ship the end of last week. I have been pacing the floor waiting  ::)