Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitching sloppy vs Clean slurry calculations  (Read 6324 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Pitching sloppy vs Clean slurry calculations
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
If he really wants to brew tomorrow and not rinse, he could grow up the starter from the dirty slurry.  Otherwise he has to wait, and who wants to do that when the kettle is calling.  Brew kettles love being anthropomorphized.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 11:01:06 am »
I have a new procedure for pouring from the boil kettle to the fermentor solo.  The new method has resulted in cleaner harvested yeast.  My wife used to help by holding a funnel and mesh bag on the carboy while I poured from the boil kettle.  Usually resulted in some sticky wort ending up on her shoes.

Mesh bag is held in place with binder clips.  Sanitized foil on the fermentor as a precaution.  The bag is lifted after the pour to finish draining the wort held in the hop debris.

Contents of the fermentor swirled into solution after racking to the bottling bucket.  After 15 minutes or so a thin line of clear beer begins to show on the surface.  This is when I pour to two pint jars.  There is yeast left in the fermentor but two pint jars is more than enough to store.

The next day almost all the yeast has dropped out of the remaining beer in the jar.  175 milliliters of yeast in each jar.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 11:09:57 am »
Yesterday's crop. A little bit of crap at the bottom. But pretty clean.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 11:25:14 am »
Dang guys you guys are making me jealous with all your yeast harvest banks..lol. I think I will harvest anyways just to do it.. so I learn..since I've never done it before.

But still freaking A .. I'm gonna raid your yeast storages..lol if you hear a prowler it's me..lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 02:04:53 pm »
I really don't see the need for yeast rinsing when it is better stored under beer to begin with. It is not in the yeast's best interest to store it under water (especially distilled). Best stored under beer for protection.

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 02:12:52 pm »
I really don't see the need for yeast rinsing when it is better stored under beer to begin with. It is not in the yeast's best interest to store it under water (especially distilled). Best stored under beer for protection.

This.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 03:33:44 pm »
I always leave mine in the stuff it fermented until the day before I'm going to use it, and rinse it then.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 01:04:52 pm »
Ok so his is my procedure: 1st time ever doing this .. ever.. did I say ever..lol

Yeast source: I brewed 2 weeks ago
On Oct.15, 2016 Saturday using wyeast 1318 London ale 3 - in a Hoppy amber 1.047 OG with 5 oz dry hopped loosely in spediel besides the normal boiling hopps etc..

1318 Yeast Harvest Date: Oct. 29, 2016 Sat.

Step 1: boiled and cooled  1 gallon  water - added to spediel and swirled slurry around. Poured all of it into 5000ml flask. Chilled for 4 hrs or so

Step 2:  visually could see the layers, the bottom layer was very greenish..due to hopPS. Decanted carefully into sterilized 1 gallon glass jug all the layers minus the bottom trub/ hopps gunk - let sit in fridge another 1 hr or so cold

Step 3: decanted 1 gallon glass jug into 4 small pint glass jars. Carefully adding the top layers  with only leaving the trub behind

STEP 5: the small glass jars sat overnight in fridge and have 2 distinctly layers murky  beer/ water with creamy white bottom

Step 6: what do I need to do now???
How to store , decant etc.. should I combine all into one jar ?..

I am going to label wyeast 1318 hoppy slurry and date it!

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:25 pm »
I would use it as soon as you can, the shelf life on that stuff isn't very long (few weeks maybe?).  I would also do a starter with it before I use it, at very least to wake it up and get it going.  You also have to kind of guess what the yeast density is there, but just guess low and you should be fine.

I wouldn't recombine them, that is just more chance to infect it, plus the amount of yeast in one of those jars is pretty high.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 01:56:35 pm »
Search the forum for "Just say no to yeast rinsing."  You will likely change your mind about rinsing yeast.

Just say "no" to yeast rinsing

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehomebrewersassociation%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D19850&share_tid=19850&share_fid=40079&share_type=t
Brian
mobrewer

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 02:05:04 pm »
Search the forum for "Just say no to yeast rinsing."  You will likely change your mind about rinsing yeast.

Just say "no" to yeast rinsing

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehomebrewersassociation%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D19850&share_tid=19850&share_fid=40079&share_type=t

Yes. Its a waste of time.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »
So do you do anything to get the junk out from before?  Based on the same information that it looks like that post was sourced from, I always store the yeast in its beer until right before using it.  Would you say it is detrimental to rinse it right before using it to get the junk out (hop bits, trub, dead cells, the flavor of the beer it was in), especially in the case of going from something strong to something mild?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »
So do you do anything to get the junk out from before?  Based on the same information that it looks like that post was sourced from, I always store the yeast in its beer until right before using it.  Would you say it is detrimental to rinse it right before using it to get the junk out (hop bits, trub, dead cells, the flavor of the beer it was in), especially in the case of going from something strong to something mild?

I typically do not go from something strong to something mild.  I usually brew smaller, lighter colored beers first, then reuse the yeast for darker, stronger beers. I would not reuse yeast from a batch that had a lot of hops in it. Instead, I would just use fresh yeast so as not to have any carry over of flavor where it might not be wanted.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »
Thanks guys.. or girls.. I'm being political correct..lol

As always  everyone here is kick axx .lol

I'll check out the link.. 

As far as using it I  might be brewing a Hoppy pale ale in like a few weeks
And for that I'll  make. Starter out of one of the jars..

?  If I keep the rest as is and make starters when I know I'm gonna brew I'm understanding that I can keep them as is for a while..but would def need to make. Starter when I do choose to use a jar ..right?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 02:40:34 pm »
Yes. The most I have saved a jar for is about 6 wks. After that, I dump'em.

Usually, I try to time my brewing/kegging sessions so I am kegging and saving some slurry 1-2 days prior to when I am going to use it in my next brew. I have even pitched up to 1 wk later with good success.

After, that I would probably make a starter. And depending how old the slurry is, use anywhere from 2-4 TBS of thick slurry to pitch into my new starter wort.