Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: French onion soup  (Read 1510 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
French onion soup
« on: October 29, 2016, 09:15:16 am »
My favorite winter soup, I made my first attempt yesterday.  So the homemade beef stock

3# of soup bones
.75# leeks cleaned
1# carrot cleaned
.5# celery
10 cups water

I sauteed the soup bones and scraped the marrow out.  Roasted them at 275F for 45 mins.  I chopped my veggies added them all to a stock pot and boiled away with bay leaves rosemary and oregano.

Sliced 6 medium white onions
And in 4tbsp of olive oil & 6 tbsp sweet cream butter - homemade if I have the time

Cooked them down for 15 mins with the lid on then add salt pepper and sugar.  Cook for another 30 mins stirring every 5 mins

Add a tablespoon of unbleached flour, red wine and deglaze the pan, bring to a simmer then add 8 cups of beef stock and another bunch of rosemary, oregano, bay leaf and thyme

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:36:28 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: French onion soup
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:48 am »
Love it. I make a version that take 20 hours in the slow cooker. Onions and a bit of butter go in at 10pm and cook for 12 hours. All the other stuff goes in at 10am and cooks for 8. Turns out really tasty.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: French onion soup
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:27:44 am »

This deliciousness was scooped off covered with a toasted baget rubbed down with garlic topped with gruyere and Swiss cheese
And broiled

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)