Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktober Can Seamer  (Read 7189 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Oktober Can Seamer
« on: October 30, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Oktober Can Seamer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 07:50:49 am »
Pricey!
Jesse

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 10:04:35 am »
Pricey!

Yeah, it's not for everyone, me especially.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:01 am »
Yes, it's pricey compared to a lot in the homebrewing hobby...but remember homebrewing is cheap compared to many other hobbies.

That being said, if I had $1500 to throw at a hobby I've be buying headers for my Camaro...not a canner.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:40:18 am »
Pricey!

Like most things it will probably come down from it's initial price.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 12:03:11 pm »
All it does is close a can. I understand that demand is low, so price is high, but I don't see demand ever getting high enough to bring the price down more than 50% which would still be an insane investment.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 05:26:32 pm »
All it does is close a can. I understand that demand is low, so price is high, but I don't see demand ever getting high enough to bring the price down more than 50% which would still be an insane investment.
And at $.32/can, that adds another $16 - $18 to a batch of homebrew.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline huntb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 07:49:08 am »
Hey guys, I'm one of the engineers for Oktober. If you have any questions feel free to ask! We will be designing a new seamer that should be more economical for home brewers but don't currently have a release date for it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 08:04:13 am »
Hey guys, I'm one of the engineers for Oktober. If you have any questions feel free to ask! We will be designing a new seamer that should be more economical for home brewers but don't currently have a release date for it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Likely out of my price range, but just curious - how efficient at preventing O2 ingress?
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 12:42:40 pm »
And at $.32/can, that adds another $16 - $18 to a batch of homebrew.

New bottles are about $0.50 per, not including crowns. IMO, people who are getting one of these are not going to be canning an entire batch. It's more for homebrewers who are already spending a lot of coin or small brewpubs that want to can small or one off things.

Likely out of my price range, but just curious - how efficient at preventing O2 ingress?

All dependent on your process really. Use a beer gun, purge, and 'cap' on foam, and I don't see you picking up a significant amount of oxygen.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 12:51:41 pm »
All dependent on your process really. Use a beer gun, purge, and 'cap' on foam, and I don't see you picking up a significant amount of oxygen.

Yeah, I was more curious if the thing is even equipped to purge at all. Don't get me wrong, not looking to buy one. I'll take my Beer Gun any day.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 12:52:27 pm »
We have a mobile canner that comes through, sets up at a brewery, and will can 5 gal. of homebrew for $25.  For $1500, you could can 60 batches....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 01:01:44 pm »

I'll be the guy :) Do you have DO readings to confirm that? With my "methods" best I was able to to is .44ppm DO, which does not meet the .015ppm maximum.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 01:44:02 pm »
Yeah, I was more curious if the thing is even equipped to purge at all. Don't get me wrong, not looking to buy one. I'll take my Beer Gun any day.

It's only a seamer. It does not fill the cans. It's very similar to the crowler machines that cost $3000+.

We have a mobile canner that comes through, sets up at a brewery, and will can 5 gal. of homebrew for $25.  For $1500, you could can 60 batches....

How much for them to come by and can 1 or 2? Or a six pack? In Louisiana? ;)

I'll be the guy :) Do you have DO readings to confirm that?

Nope. I do not. But then again, I don't have DO readings for bottles either to compare it to. I'm also not packaging anything to let it sit for more than a week or two. I only package to share with friends or enter competitions.

With my "methods" best I was able to to is .44ppm DO, which does not meet the .015ppm maximum.

Methods of what? Canning? Bottling?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 01:49:35 pm »
It's only a seamer. It does not fill the cans. It's very similar to the crowler machines that cost $3000+.

Yep, wrong assumption on my part.
Jon H.