Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water question  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Bru'n Water question
« on: November 01, 2016, 04:04:09 am »
I've been using a Bru'n Water for about 9 months, using the water quality figures provided by my local water company.  I've recently bought a salifert alkalinity test kit, and am hoping to use this for the first time on my next brew.  The question I have is for the pH value, should I use the suggested value of 8 (if I don't know the water pH), or should I use the average pH value of 7.7 that I've been using thus far?  I don't have a pH meter to take an actual reading.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
Re: Bru'n Water question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:49:36 am »
If you have been using 7.7 for the last 9 months and don't have any issues then I would just run with that.  The difference between 7.7 and 8 isn't huge and you shouldn't have an issue.

If you are really worried about it, split the difference :)
Fermenting/Aging: IPA, Blonde ale, Spiced Holiday ale, Citra Hefeweizen, Cider, Munich Dunkel, Coffee Oatmeal Stout,

On Tap: Pale ale, RIS, Wee Heavy, Belgian Tripel

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:41:36 am »
I'm not sure that pH even affects the calculation as alkalinity drives the calculations.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 09:57:06 am »
I'm not sure that pH even affects the calculation as alkalinity drives the calculations.

Good point, I'll have a play when I get home.
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:57 am »
I brewed this weekend, testing my water first for Alkalinity.  The results came as a bit of a surprise, with my bicarbonate value (145) rather higher than the values provided by the water company.  Seems that my assumption that the variation was minimal, based on the minimal change in value provided by the water company is down to averaging out, rather than a lack of variation.

I plugged the value into Bru'n Water, and used it to build my water profile anyway, but did notice that it stated that my water report was no unbalanced.  Should I be worrying about this?
Dom

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:37 pm »
High alkalinity can throw out bad #'s fyi

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)