Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wiring a pump  (Read 1589 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
wiring a pump
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »
I bought a MKII pump that comes with a three pronged plug. I want to connect it to a switch so I have better control. So, when I cut the plug off, I’m a little afraid of what I’ll find. I doubt if the wires come sheathed in black, white and green coverings. How will I know which wire is the ground ( I’m assuming the other two wires are interchangeable, hot and neutral). I’d appreciate any advice.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: wiring a pump
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:07:01 pm »
They should be color coded. I'd be concerned if they were not.

Safety note - while switching the hot or neutral will yield the same result, switching the neutral is technically not as safe. If the switch is on, the hot will be charged and could cause a shock if grounded. Switch the hot.

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:03:25 pm »
Hopefully you have a voltmeter,  if not,  they are cheap at Harbor Freight Tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 08:01:05 am »
Hopefully you have a voltmeter,  if not,  they are cheap at Harbor Freight Tools.

Can you access the wires where they connect to the pump?  If so, you can use the continuity setting or ohmeter to determine which wires at the pump end do what before you cut off the plug.  Using that info you can determine the wires at the plug end after cutting off the plug. 

Offline Stevie

wiring a pump
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:51 am »
You are telling somebody to take a volt meter to a live wire when he didn't even know that switching a neutral is bad news? He hasn't even open the insulation yet. The wires are most certainly color coded. If not black/white/green email the manufacture and get answers.

ETA - Color coding in Australia - http://www.insula.com.au/physics/1250/L5.html
Considering this is a product designed and built for the NA market, it more than likely is coded to NA standards.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:17:15 am by Stevie »

Offline dreamacres

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:27:11 am »
why not just switch an outlet then you do not have to cut end off so you can use the pump in other spots if needed

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
Wait,  why cut off the plug?  Just wire the power switch to an outlet and plug the pump into that!  That's what I did,  that way you don't have to worry about crossing wires or making a mistake.

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 08:28:45 am »
why not just switch an outlet then you do not have to cut end off so you can use the pump in other spots if needed
Great minds think alike lol!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 08:31:23 am »
Wait,  why cut off the plug?  Just wire the power switch to an outlet and plug the pump into that!  That's what I did,  that way you don't have to worry about crossing wires or making a mistake.

This is good advice, but I figured the user would have a particular need. I made my own for each pump. Yes, no GFI, but the outlet I use is GFI and I have a portable incase I ever need it. Total cost was about $15.