Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High Gravity conditioning  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: High Gravity conditioning
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 07:51:50 pm »
You could always bottle with some extract left ("Bottle Spunding") and allow the remaining fermentation to provide the desired level of carbonation.

The upside? Active yeast in the bottle scrubs O2 and carbonates the beer.

The downside? Sediment in the bottle from settled yeast.

And possible explosive bottles.  That's the way they did it back in the "bad old days".
While I am a relative newbie to modern homebrewing, I am a veteran of the "bad old days".  If bottle spunding is bottling before FG is reached, one of my college roommates and I bottled about 6,000 quarts that way back in the day (qt. bottles were the thing back then).  We only had one explode when one of our roommates left a bottle on the clothes dryer in the basement and another roommate loaded it up and turned it on.  We never did find all the pieces of that bottle.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »
If I bulk age, I rack the beer then add about 50g of invert sugar. The yeast will act up again and purge the oxygen.
Cheap, easy, works for me.

mjk

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
If I bulk age, I rack the beer then add about 50g of invert sugar. The yeast will act up again and purge the oxygen.
Cheap, easy, works for me.

mjk

That's an interesting idea. When I have one that's actually filling a carboy up, Ill look at doing that. Seems like an effective way of purging without buying CO2!

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 06:02:37 pm »
Restarts the air lock to bubbling.

One more thing about bulk aging especially for a high alcohol brew.
Pitch some fresh yeast at bottling that is of course if you are bottling. Seem the longer the yeast sits without activity the tougher it is to carbonate/get out of dormancy.
I always bottle because I cant afford a keg. I think I would always bottle some beer even if I had a keg.
One extra day of fun and beer!

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 08:25:11 am »
Restarts the air lock to bubbling.

One more thing about bulk aging especially for a high alcohol brew.
Pitch some fresh yeast at bottling that is of course if you are bottling. Seem the longer the yeast sits without activity the tougher it is to carbonate/get out of dormancy.
I always bottle because I cant afford a keg. I think I would always bottle some beer even if I had a keg.
One extra day of fun and beer!
I don't have a keg either so I am a bottler. I would be OK with a lower carb rate on this beer overall though since its a scotch ale. Looking for moderate low carbing.