Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewometer  (Read 9141 times)

Offline kbenton00

• 1st Kit
Re: Brewometer
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 08:16:42 am »
Cool stuff. Glad to see they kept it open.

Any luck integrating with brewpi?
If you look over on the brewpi forums you will find a thread where someone has already integrated the brewometer into the latest version of the brewpi software.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline jimmayhugh

• 1st Kit
    • Buttcrack Brewery
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 09:12:46 am »
The new Pi 3 has both bluetooth and wifi on it.  I'm thinking it might make a good data collection/wifi repeater device for use with the brewometer.
KB

I've got some python and php code that runs on a Raspberry Pi 3 / Raspberry Pi 2 (with a bluetooth LE dongle)  LAMP server. It interrogates the Tilt/Brewometer once a minute and logs the result to a MySQL database. Some additional php code displays the information in a graphical form on a webpage. It does require some knowledge of linux (I use debian, but raspbian lite also works. Here's a screenshot of the graph.

It should be noted that the temperature displayed is off by about 4 degrees, based on the reading from my ESP8266-based Temperature controller, which has a temperature probe placed directly into the wort via a thermowell.

The SG reading is also off by about 4 points, based on readings taken with my eDrometer. This varies with each Tilt/Brewometer and the Android and iOS apps allow you to compensate your readings. A little code addition would allow the same with my code. I prefer using the Tilt/Brewometer to show the trends, rather than using the data directly.

If anyone is interested in trying out the code, PM me.

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:51 pm »
I've been using one of these for a few months and am happy with it. It's easy to use as well as clean/sanitize. A point that I've not seen anyone on here mention is that the mobile apps (and i would expect easy to do with the Pi) is that it can track 8 different brews at once (one Tilt of each color). I use it mainly for progress tracking so I can fine tune my temp ramps, add dry hops at a specific point, or to transfer while still fermenting.

Offline MadZack

• 1st Kit
    • madzack.com
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 08:46:10 am »
I've been using two of these for a few months now, and I'm super-happy with them.

It works fine with an iPhone to read the data, but I use a rPi 3 running a node.js script I wrote to both grab and store the data, and serve out a little web page that graphs the data in real time.  It's super-cool being able to see your fermentation over time, and really helped me understand the stages of fermentation better.

One thing I've found is that different batteries have different weights, and those weights affect the calibration of the unit.  I put in a Duracell battery, and was super-confused when my brewometer SG didn't match my hydrometer.  I then tried it in water at room temp, and found that it was significantly off (by 0.021).  You can calibrate the iPhone app to adjust for this, and I added in some code to my rPi node.js script to record a calibration value, and adjust the values on the fly.  So far, it would appear that the offset is linear, i.e. it is the same amount for OG and FG (and water, for that matter), so you only need to just subtract/add the calibration offset, regardless of where you are in fermentation.

I have a friend who owns a brewpub, and he tried using it in his big commercial cylindroconical fermenter, and it works, but he had to have his iPhone up near the port in the top for it to read properly.  A couple feet away, and no signal.  Not surprising, since a steel fermenter is basically a faraday's cage, methinks?

(BTW, I tried to add an image of the fermentation data graph, but cannot add images; maybe because I'm a new forum user?)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:53:18 am by MadZack »
madzack.com
Purveyors of fine ales, ciders and meads for the discerning post-apocalyptic survivor...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 09:14:46 am »
I have a friend who owns a brewpub, and he tried using it in his big commercial cylindroconical fermenter, and it works, but he had to have his iPhone up near the port in the top for it to read properly.  A couple feet away, and no signal. Not surprising, since a steel fermenter is basically a faraday's cage, methinks?

Thanks for sharing this. A Brewometer has been on my periphery since I ferment in kegs now and do everything I can to minimize O2 contact after pitching. A device that monitors fermentation remotely is ideal so I know exactly when to ramp/spund/dry-hop/etc. Unfortunately, it sounds like this device would be tough to connect to from outside of a keg/keezer.

Has anyone here used this while fermenting in kegs?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 10:20:31 am »
I have a friend who owns a brewpub, and he tried using it in his big commercial cylindroconical fermenter, and it works, but he had to have his iPhone up near the port in the top for it to read properly.  A couple feet away, and no signal. Not surprising, since a steel fermenter is basically a faraday's cage, methinks?

Thanks for sharing this. A Brewometer has been on my periphery since I ferment in kegs now and do everything I can to minimize O2 contact after pitching. A device that monitors fermentation remotely is ideal so I know exactly when to ramp/spund/dry-hop/etc. Unfortunately, it sounds like this device would be tough to connect to from outside of a keg/keezer.

Not in kegs, but I do have stainless conical that it works in.  Granted, I do have my tablet within 2 feet, but it works.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 07:53:33 am »
It does work through a corny, even with the metal lid on.  Do need to get fairly close for it to read but it does work.  Can't get it to work through both a fermentation fridge and a corny but I wasn't surprised by that.

Offline jimmayhugh

• 1st Kit
    • Buttcrack Brewery
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 11:51:35 am »

Yup...

I'm using a RPi3 with my own software. I just set the RPi3 right on top of the sanke, and run the wires out through the port on the back. Works like a champ.

Offline jimmayhugh

• 1st Kit
    • Buttcrack Brewery
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 07:11:18 am »
If anyone is interested, I've posted my code to my github

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2016, 12:30:54 pm »

That's my question too. An all metal fermenter would create a Faraday Cage that might prevent the radio waves from escaping the vessel. I see that Enk and Flip are saying that it still works, but it concerns me. Is the history kept on the brewmometer and then downloaded all at once, or are the data points intermittently transmitted to the receiver where they are logged and retained?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brewometer
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2016, 12:38:25 pm »
Martin, no internal memory. Simply sends the reading to whatever is receiving at the time.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 10:13:46 am »

That's my question too. An all metal fermenter would create a Faraday Cage that might prevent the radio waves from escaping the vessel. I see that Enk and Flip are saying that it still works, but it concerns me. Is the history kept on the brewmometer and then downloaded all at once, or are the data points intermittently transmitted to the receiver where they are logged and retained?

You can have it write to a google docs spreadsheet that is updated every fifteen minutes.  I use this website https://www.brewstat.us to track my beers.  It also updates every 15 minutes
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny