Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: restarting fermentation  (Read 1984 times)

Offline bmweigel

• 1st Kit
restarting fermentation
« on: November 03, 2016, 01:42:31 pm »
I brewed a barley wine at the beginning of September with an OG of 1.134 and a 1.5h boil. Beersmith calculated my ABV to be 14.5%. I made a yeast starter with wyeast labs 1098 (british ale yeast) two days before. when I pitched the starter and also threw in a second pack of the 1098 and a pack of wine yeast, to hopefully finish the fermentation up to 15% ABV once the alcohol was to high for the ale yeast. I fermented in primary for 14 days starting at 18C for 4 days then moving up to 21C until the end (I think that is 64F and 70F). I then transferred to secondary for two months at 20C. I did not check my gravity before going to secondary. I have never checked gravity before going from primary to secondary due to increasing risk of contamination (I contaminated a batch of wine once, so I prefer minimal touching). I usually leave the brew in primary for 7 days and secondary for 2 weeks. I have never had a problem of not reaching my FG before kegging/bottling time (including lagars).

I went to bottle the barley wine and tested my FG, only to find that the gravity was still at 1.06 (after 2 months)! I believed that not checking my gravity before switching from primary to secondary had finally caught me. My ABV calculations at this point, using brewers friend webpage, is currently at 10%. I pitched another 2 packs of wine yeast on Sunday, to hopefully restart fermentation. I checked on the beer after 4 days and I don't see any bubbling or obvious signs of fermentation.

How can I start fermentation again?
Suggestions (or is this beer ruined)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: restarting fermentation
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:50:26 pm »
How do you know there's anything left to restart?  You may be done no matter how much yeast you pitch.  First step is a forced fermentation test to find out if there's anything left to ferment.  If there is, then you can worry about how to restart it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:57:53 pm »
How are you measuring the final gravity? Hydrometer?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »
Be careful when blending wine yeast with beer yeast. Some yeasts are known to actually kill each other. Also, wine yeast may have a higher alcohol tolerance but they have been naturally selected to convert fructose not maltose so you may not get a higher attenuation from them in actuality.

You may want to look at getting a big pitch of active slurry from a local brewery but, as denny said, you also actually may just be done.

The other option that "might" work is to pitch a big starter of Belle Saison yeast. I swear that yeast is incredible and can literally tolerate just about anything you can put on it.

In reality though, super high gravity beers like this take some finessing. I personally don't think there are many beers over 10% ABV that are worth drinking, but once you get 15% and up you will be better off doing incremental feeding of sugars.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 02:59:37 pm »
Be careful when blending wine yeast with beer yeast. Some yeasts are known to actually kill each other. Also, wine yeast may have a higher alcohol tolerance but they have been naturally selected to convert fructose not maltose so you may not get a higher attenuation from them in actuality.

You may want to look at getting a big pitch of active slurry from a local brewery but, as denny said, you also actually may just be done.

The other option that "might" work is to pitch a big starter of Belle Saison yeast. I swear that yeast is incredible and can literally tolerate just about anything you can put on it.

In reality though, super high gravity beers like this take some finessing. I personally don't think there are many beers over 10% ABV that are worth drinking, but once you get 15% and up you will be better off doing incremental feeding of sugars.

This^^^^^. Be wary of the killer wine strains.

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »
Denny has the right plan of action.
Forced Fermentation

Pull a sample of your wort, being extra careful with your sanitation measure the gravity and place it in a sterile container.
Inoculate your sample with a very high cell count of yeast. (Use the Belle Saison as advised by majorvices. Its a killer yeast)
Place the container on a stir plate or rouse the yeast often by shaking.
Keep the container warm until fermentation has ceased.
After 36-48 hours, measure the terminal gravity of the wort. That should be as far as it will go.

Could be anything. Might have only non-fermentables left