Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alternate Yeast for Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Alternate Yeast for Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter?
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
Hello all.  I'm brewing this recipe for the first time this Saturday.  Trying to keep it as close to the exact recipe on the wiki as possible, but LHBS does not have WY1450 in stock.  Considering US-05, WY1056, WY1272, Pacman, or WY1084 (Irish) as a sub.  Which of these would you use?

Also, the 1450 is available at another shop, but will require about a 45 minute drive out of my way tomorrow.  Do you think the 1450 would make enough of a difference vs the alternates that it is worth the drive?  If so, I'll make the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Alternate Yeast for Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
Hello all.  I'm brewing this recipe for the first time this Saturday.  Trying to keep it as close to the exact recipe on the wiki as possible, but LHBS does not have WY1450 in stock.  Considering US-05, WY1056, WY1272, Pacman, or WY1084 (Irish) as a sub.  Which of these would you use?

Also, the 1450 is available at another shop, but will require about a 45 minute drive out of my way tomorrow.  Do you think the 1450 would make enough of a difference vs the alternates that it is worth the drive?  If so, I'll make the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Out of those three, 1056 first, 1272 second, not 1084. If you lived closer to the other LHBS or were inclined, 1450 is a great yeast that attenuates well but leaves a malty mouthfeel - perfect for that beer. In a pinch I'd go with 1056.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 10:15:49 am »

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 01:29:47 pm »
Thanks HoosierBrew and Denny!  I am going to make the extra trip to get the real deal yeast.

I have another question about this brew (probably should go in a separate thread, but I hate to make multiple threads about the same brew).  I have very soft water, and Bru'n water is calling for what seems like an alarming amount of baking soda to get my mash pH up to 5.4, which is my understanding of the minimum I should be at for this beer.  How much is too much baking soda?  I don't want to add so much that the beer tastes nasty, and I've heard that calcium carbonate is not effective unless dissolved with Co2, so I'm not really sure what to do.  I don't have access to my spreadsheet right now, so I can't tell you the exact amount of baking soda it was calculating would be needed, but it seemed like a lot.  I rarely brew dark beers, so this isn't an issue I deal with frequently.  Thanks!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 01:38:27 pm »
How much sodium is Bru'n water estimating? What sort of profile are you targeting?

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »
I can't recall the amount of sodium.  Unfortunately I won't be able to get home and look at the Bru'n water spreadsheet for probably a couple of hours, but I'm going for the brown balanced profile.  Its the mash pH that I'm really concerned with.  I don't have a meter or strips but I usually just plug the grist into Bru'n water and use what it says.  It has always worked well for me.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 02:13:45 pm »
My last stout used .36g/gal in the mash for 2g in 5.5 gallons. That got me to 5.5 in a very roast heavy recipe where about 8% was roasted malts.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »
Okay, Bru'n Water is calling for .9 grams per gallon of baking soda to get the pH up to 5.4.  Will that be detrimental to the taste of the beer, or should that be okay? 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »
The sodium from baking soda is the real issue. Put it this way - I mash stouts and porters @ 5.6, make pretty roasty stouts (my American stout especially), and use baking soda to raise pH. My Na levels never get over 50ppm. Per Martin (ie., Mr Brunwater) this is perfectly fine. And my taste buds say the beer is delicious. One qualifier - I use RO water for my beers as the base. I wouldn't be scared to go a tad over 50 ppm Na for a roasty stout or porter.

Jon H.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »
That level of baking soda puts my sodium level at 67 ppm in the mash water.  I wouldn't add the baking soda to my sparge water, so my overall sodium level in the beer should be below 50 ppm if I'm understanding this correctly.  Does that sound like it will be fine?

I really need to get a ph meter.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 06:27:19 pm »
That level of baking soda puts my sodium level at 67 ppm in the mash water.  I wouldn't add the baking soda to my sparge water, so my overall sodium level in the beer should be below 50 ppm if I'm understanding this correctly.  Does that sound like it will be fine?

I really need to get a ph meter.

It'll make a good beer. Go for it. Be sure to post how it comes out. May have missed it but what yeast are you going with?
Jon H.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 06:30:03 pm »
Thanks for the help!  Going with the 1450.  I will definitely let everyone know how it turns out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 06:35:36 pm »
Thanks for the help!  Going with the 1450.  I will definitely let everyone know how it turns out.

That yeast is fantastic in that beer, or any American stout, brown, amber, or pale for that matter. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline craig64

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 06:43:15 pm »

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is.

I have to agree with Denny. I wouldn't brew this recipe without 1450.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 07:09:27 pm »
What sort of water are you using? How thick are you mashing?