Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LoDo questions  (Read 4049 times)

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
LoDo questions
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »
I'm going to brew another helles and though I'd  give the LoDo thing a stab this weekend and have a few questions.
My Brewtan B and SMB arrived this week, so I'll be incorporating that.   My worry is my inability to rapidly chill my brewing water after I boil it.   I have a BrewMagic system and my vessels are 1/2 barrel kegs.  I've got an ancient copper immersion chiller, but I really don't want to use it.   I usually start with 15 gallons of water for a 10 gallon batch, so the hot liquor tank will have very little headspace with the lid on.   Can I top this off with CO2 to keep it from taking up oxygen while it just cools over an hour or so?  The same question applies to the mash tun... can I blow a layer of CO2 on top to reduce oxygen uptake?   

Thanks
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

The Beerery

Re: LoDo questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:04:07 pm »
Actually there is an easier way! http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/. We detail a yeast process for DO removal that does not require a preboil. Give that paper a read though and it should answer all your questions and address some concerns.

Cheers

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:33:06 pm »
Actually there is an easier way! http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/. We detail a yeast process for DO removal that does not require a preboil. Give that paper a read though and it should answer all your questions and address some concerns.

Cheers

Could you post that link, please? Went to the site and I must've overlooked the article. Thanks.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:38:19 pm »

Cheers

Could you post that link, please? Went to the site and I must've overlooked the article. Thanks.

It's in the main article in the mash section. 

Big Monk

LoDo questions
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:38:31 pm »
The home page is our full write up Jon. You'll find it under the mashing section. I don't believe we did a full write up on the yeast scavenging method.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:40:38 pm by Big Monk »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:42:08 pm »
My bad. I was looking through the article list. Thanks.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:44:53 pm »
My bad. I was looking through the article list. Thanks.

We have links peppered throughout the write up and we will of course be adding more depth as we get a feel for what people are struggling with or need help on. It's really geared towards giving people a dynamic FAQ of sorts.

Don't miss out on the brewing references link. There is some choice stuff in there. Short of posting Kunze we have everything from our collective research library in there.

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:06:22 pm »
So I've decided to go all in with this beer this weekend.   I'm going to split my usual 10 gallon helles batch into two 5 gallon ones and brew them sequentially.   The first will be my usual method and second will be my attempt at LoDo w/ Brewtan B as well.     

My wife is an analytical chemist.  Her specialty is mass spectroscopy.   So I'm going to pull samples from different stages of the brewing process for each beer and she's going to run them on a mass spec and see what differences she finds and then identify what they are.   Sounds cool, but I'm more interested in the taste.  heh
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »
So I've decided to go all in with this beer this weekend.   I'm going to split my usual 10 gallon helles batch into two 5 gallon ones and brew them sequentially.   The first will be my usual method and second will be my attempt at LoDo w/ Brewtan B as well.     

My wife is an analytical chemist.  Her specialty is mass spectroscopy.   So I'm going to pull samples from different stages of the brewing process for each beer and she's going to run them on a mass spec and see what differences she finds and then identify what they are.   Sounds cool, but I'm more interested in the taste.  heh

Very cool. Please keep us posted with your data results.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »
I recommend that you place those samples in the VOC bottles with the septum caps. The samples have to be isolated from oxygen.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

The Beerery

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 03:09:34 pm »
I recommend that you place those samples in the VOC bottles with the septum caps. The samples have to be isolated from oxygen.

EXACTLY!

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 06:32:57 pm »
Tested the gravity this evening of the beers and took the opportunity to do a little blind taste test.   The beers probably aren't perfectly comparable as my efficiency on the LoDo batch was better (OG of 1.059 versus 1.050) I could appreciate a difference and preferred the LoDo.  Both are still way too young and have a lot of yeast still in suspension, so I'll hold off on a final opinion.  But for now, I am intrigued. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 05:52:47 am »
I have done three batches now using LO methods - 1 pre-boiling and 2 pre-yeasting, with one of the pre-yeasting also getting Brewtan B (just arrived last week from Australia).  I can't get over the remarkable lack of aroma in the mash, extra malty flavor in the wort, clarity of the wort and thickness of the trub/break in the boil kettle (I have a false bottom screen in my boil kettle and use stainless mesh canisters for pellet hops).  I have some dialing in to do, but this approach has me very intrigued on German beers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

The Beerery

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 06:11:35 am »
Congrats guys!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 11:13:43 am »
Hey pkrone. PM me - I am doing this on my Brew-Magic. There are few things to look at and tighten up. Not a lot of work, but it dramatically reduced my DO uptake.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<