Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil temps - do they matter?  (Read 21746 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Boil temps - do they matter?
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:06 am »
One thing with those pizza pans is that you need to weigh it down a bit because it is so light, otherwise you can get a air gap under it in places.

LODO also keeps your coffee warm.
Judging by that picture, it lowers the SRM on your coffee by quite a bit as well :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
As another data point:

I just ran off a mash for the Scottish 60/- I'm doing today and did no sparge, underlet, one gentle stir after all the liquor was in, 156F, pH 5.25.  I got 74% mash efficiency (calculated from pre-boil gravity using beersmith).  My first one with no stirring also came out at ~50%, though I couldn't find any dough balls in there.

My dough in time was about 8-10 minutes, which was based on what Bryan said.  If I go faster I find that it doesn't seem to work so well as the grain starts to float up on the water.

50% sounds exactly right.  Frustrating, but not the end of the world.  I need to brew more often.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
Loving all the responses on here.  I lowered my boil vigor with my most recent brew and have noticed a big flavor improvement, regarding more character and less flaws. Still need to improve it a bit more, but improvement, nonetheless.
Thanks for all the help, fellas!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2017, 08:04:28 pm »
Loving all the responses on here.  I lowered my boil vigor with my most recent brew and have noticed a big flavor improvement, regarding more character and less flaws. Still need to improve it a bit more, but improvement, nonetheless.
Thanks for all the help, fellas!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Great to hear.