Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn sugar carbonation question  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Paul

• 1st Kit
Corn sugar carbonation question
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:50 pm »
Anyone know what would happen if you added the priming sugar to the keg without desolving first? Will the beer still carbonate?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Corn sugar carbonation question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »
Should be fine. Sugar dissolves easily, especially in large volumes of water and alcohol. A gentle rocking on its side won't hurt, but be sure the keg is purged of O2

Offline Paul

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:30:10 pm »
Ok so the reason I asked was that the beer came out flat and super sweet. Basically the priming sugar did nothing. New at this so I thought I messed up the process.
Got to the bottom of it and in the spirit of giving back I will share in case someone else makes this mistake.
My FG was 1.010 so there was not enough healthy yeast left to turn the priming sugar, or at least what I was told by the local brew shop. Got some quality dry kegging dry yeast and will re-pitch. Hopefully this will re-start my carbonation cycle and get my beer back on track.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:49:53 am »
Got to the bottom of it and in the spirit of giving back I will share in case someone else makes this mistake.
My FG was 1.010 so there was not enough healthy yeast left to turn the priming sugar, or at least what I was told by the local brew shop.

Wrong!
The only way that there wouldn't be enough yeast is if you aged this for a really long time before bottling.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 11:15:19 am »
My FG was 1.010 so there was not enough healthy yeast left to turn the priming sugar, or at least what I was told by the local brew shop.

Wrong!
The only way that there wouldn't be enough yeast is if you aged this for a really long time before bottling.

Or, the beer had a very high OG and the primary strain of yeast was simply too pooped out to consume any more sugars.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 02:47:22 pm »
Ok so the reason I asked was that the beer came out flat and super sweet. Basically the priming sugar did nothing. New at this so I thought I messed up the process.
My FG was 1.010 so there was not enough healthy yeast left to turn the priming sugar, or at least what I was told by the local brew shop. Got some quality dry kegging dry yeast and will re-pitch. Hopefully this will re-start my carbonation cycle and get my beer back on track.
What temperature was the keg held at and for how long before your first taste?  Temperature may have been too low for conditioning and not enough weeks of time before tasting.