Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: StarSan  (Read 3145 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
StarSan
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:07:46 am »
I read someplace once that when StarSan get's cloudy it is loosing it's effectiveness.  Any truth to that?  Mine turns cloudy almost immediately.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: StarSan
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:43 am »
Yours turns cloudy because you have hard water. It will be fine for brewday, but I would test if keeping for a longer time. Using distilled/RO/Di water will allow you to save it for a much longer period of time.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:27:49 am »
I've heard mixed information on this. I've heard that as long as the pH is below 3, then it is still effective. But I've also heard that the cloudiness is from the surfactant binding with solutes in the water, rendering it less effective.

I used to keep some mixed Star-San on hand at all times in a bucket, but now I just make up a new batch when needed. It's easy and cheap enough.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 09:44:54 am »
My StarSan mixed with my tap water is always cloudy.  I've taken ph readings on it a month later and it's still below 3 and have had no issues with infections.

I also mix up a gallon of Starsan with distilled water to keep in my spray bottle, and that always stays clear.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:45:32 am »
Yours turns cloudy because you have hard water. It will be fine for brewday, but I would test if keeping for a longer time. Using distilled/RO/Di water will allow you to save it for a much longer period of time.

I have some swimming pool tester steps on hand.  Is there a PH indicator on them.  I don't have them in front of me at the moment.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 09:52:17 am »
My StarSan mixed with my tap water is always cloudy.  I've taken ph readings on it a month later and it's still below 3 and have had no issues with infections.

I also mix up a gallon of Starsan with distilled water to keep in my spray bottle, and that always stays clear.

For the past few years I have always had a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol on hand for quick sanitation.  Especially on the mouth of my flask or carboy when transferring yeast.  Anyone else use it?  I found it quicker than the spray bottle of StarSan.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 10:26:58 am »
I've heard mixed information on this. I've heard that as long as the pH is below 3, then it is still effective. But I've also heard that the cloudiness is from the surfactant binding with solutes in the water, rendering it less effective.

I used to keep some mixed Star-San on hand at all times in a bucket, but now I just make up a new batch when needed. It's easy and cheap enough.
Cloudy starsan feels slimy.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 10:59:05 am »

Agreed. It also leaves a residue on plastic and smells a bit sulfurous. I made the mistake of keeping my autosiphon and tubing stored in a bucket of it for a while. I had to throw it all out since it icked me out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 02:54:00 pm »

Yeah, where my buddy lives (and brews) in PA has ridiculously hard water. His starsan batches are gross feeling with his tap water. Also seems to cloud up his tubing and leave residue behind on it. Enough to make me use distilled when mixing my batches.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 07:14:53 am »
I mix with RO water, and store it in my least favorite keg. Keeps indefinitely.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 09:14:50 am »
While distilled or RO water are preferred, I've tested the longevity of StarSan solution when its created with softened water. It seemed to be pretty darn long-lived. So you can use softened water if its available. Don't use hard water since StarSan does complex with the calcium and creates a cloudy slime layer. It don't think that cloudiness is a problem for a quick rinse, but it will slime anything that is left in the solution. Since cleanliness is a prerequisite to sanitation, I believe that the slime layer would affect the sanitation of your equipment.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 11:18:28 am »
Since cleanliness is a prerequisite to sanitation, I believe that the slime layer would affect the sanitation of your equipment.

Yuck. That slime layer is nasty.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 10:16:15 am »
So question and instead of making a new thread how's about adding it here.  If tap water was treated with a Chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, heavy meatal conditioning tablet, like for aquariums is that a safe alternative to buying RO water for sani-water.  The conditioning tablets I picked up at the store for $1.88 treats 16 gallons of tap water.  Still cheap - it's just this begs the question; will this cause me any issues with cleaner and sanitizer? I like to think it wouldn't but I assume Martin you would know much more than I can find anywhere online

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

StarSan
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 10:21:18 am »
The concern here is hardness. I don't know if chlorine/chloramine is bad for sanitizer effectiveness, but RO is cheap enough and the resultant solution lasts months for me.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:28:59 am »
Can't you get chlorophenols (plastic flavors) from rinsing and sanitizing with water sources with even low ppm of chloramine?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)