Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: You know it's a good day...  (Read 2094 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
You know it's a good day...
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:14 pm »
When you come home to a new package of experimental hops to test:

I am very excited to try these out. Pat sent me a sample of his X-17 hops last year and they were phenomenal. I know very little about these new hops other than what I'm reading on the analysis sheet. Judging by the oil content, and amount of beta-pinene and linalool, if I had to guess I'd say this has the potential to be Simcoe-esque, but that is really just a WAG at this point.

Here's my write-up of X-17 from last year. I'm due for another round of hop trials soon, and the C148 will definitely be one of them.

http://hopwhisperer.blogspot.com/2015/12/x-17-hops-tasting-notes.html
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: You know it's a good day...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:58:23 pm »
Sounds like fun, Eric. Always love trying out new stuff. I used some of the Cleopatra hops I got from Ted H earlier in the year in the APA I just brewed. Aroma was pretty fantastic in the hopstand. Sort of citrus with some tropical/mango character and a spicy German sort of character. Around 8% AA with what I'd guess to be a decent oil content. Can't wait to tap it and try it for real.
Jon H.

Offline chrisluki

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:04 pm »
Nice score!

I got a package from Hop Products Australia recently with samples of Topaz, Galaxy, O35, Enigma and Vic Secret.

Not sure if those names mean much to you guys in the Northern Hemisphere...but I am excited!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:20 pm »
Nice score!

I got a package from Hop Products Australia recently with samples of Topaz, Galaxy, O35, Enigma and Vic Secret.

Not sure if those names mean much to you guys in the Northern Hemisphere...but I am excited!
I love Vic Secret, it has been my go-to for hoppy beers since I tried it. Enigma is really nice too, like a citrusy Simcoe.

I don't get a shot at Aussie or NZ experimental hops up here, but I'd love to hear what you think of the 035 when you try them. I rarely come across a southern hemisphere hop that I don't like.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer