Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pekko Hops  (Read 8139 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: Pekko Hops
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 12:42:46 am »
I did a Citra/Pekko/SorachiAce farmhouse ale in the fall. Was pretty damn tasty, although the Sorachi did overpower the Pekko somewhat.
Pekko seems to be a hops you can go crazy with; flavours aren't very in your face. Did not pick up any mint or juniper. Reason I went for Sorachi Ace was an ever so slight cocumber whiff I got off the Pekko, which latched onto the dill-tangent of Sorachi. Neither of which found their way into the beer eventually :)

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline jwhancher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 09:44:55 am »
Just wanted to weigh in on this post since I was curious too on Pekko Hops.  Picked up a bunch at HomebrewCon in Baltimore back in June.  Did a hoppy saison with pilsner malt as base and spelt, wheat, and rye as specialty malts. Bittered with Bullion. Late hop additions of Cascade & Azacca. Dry hopped with 2-oz Pekko.  5-gallon batch.

Think the beer turned out great. Nice & aromatic with plenty of tropical fruit aromas & flavor (mango, citrus, pineapple). Poured at a local event and the beer was very well received. 

I think the Pekko hops really went well with the Cascade & Azacca.  If I remember correctly, Pekko is a hybrid of Azacca so it seems only natural that they pair well with one another.

Cheers!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 08:48:51 am »
I recently scored a few ounces of Pekko from a competition. Among the flavor profile descriptors, it mentions it could be  possible sub for Saaz. Thinking about making a Czech pilsner. Does anyone who's used Pekko have any pros or cons for a Czech pils? The only thing that concerns me is 'minty'.

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 10:03:50 am »
I recently scored a few ounces of Pekko from a competition. Among the flavor profile descriptors, it mentions it could be  possible sub for Saaz. Thinking about making a Czech pilsner. Does anyone who's used Pekko have any pros or cons for a Czech pils? The only thing that concerns me is 'minty'.

Me too.
Maybe racking a small portion into a separate carboy and dry hopping with it would work. If it sucks you haven't lost an entire batch and if it's good you can dry hop the main portion.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women