Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: steel cut oats in oatmeal stout  (Read 5951 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: steel cut oats in oatmeal stout
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:59 am »
so has anyone tried cooking up the oats into a well cooked goo before adding it to the mash (cereal mash like)?  If you do that, does the efficiency of that portion of the grist bill improve?

I use flaked oats and barley all the time and usually they just kind of disappear in the mash.  When I'm doing the grainout after a brew day, I don't see the flaked stuff sitting in the grain, it looks like it has just dissolved away for the most part.

Most of my brews include oats and most of the time I pre-cook, unless I'm using instant or quick oats. Even then, I sometimes I goo it up just to satisfy the OCD in me.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:40:16 am »
As for Barbara B, that meme comparing her to the Quaker Oats image is based on a comment by a political pundit in response to a political opinion the former FLOTUS shared earlier this year.

That comment about her stretches back to at least the 1990s, although it is probably older than that.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 09:08:24 am »
I have boiled up steel cut oatmeal and added it to the mash, mainly because I like steel cut oat meal and never have the instant stuff in the house.  I cannot say that it is better or worse than using flaked oats.  It does give that characteristic oatmeal silkiness to the mouth feel, which I like.  If I am going to brew a stout, which is rare, I always us oatmeal.

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 04:26:42 pm »
If the oats say they can be cooked in 5 mins or less, then the starches will gelatinize and be accessible in the mash. For oats that need to be cooked longer, I recommend cooking them, but a cereal mash is not necessary IMO.
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:11 am »
We have never precooked.  Has always worked great.  Add with the rest of the grain bill.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Who's "we", you got a turd in your pocket?

I've never precooked, but I've never used steel cut oats. Always instant or old fashioned rolled oats, I try to toast them for 20 minutes at 350F if I have time and remember to do so. Curious to see how toasting the oats will come through in low oxygen brewing...
Jesse