Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Holiday Ale  (Read 2306 times)

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
Holiday Ale
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:51 pm »

10 lb pale malt
12 oz Crystal malt
8 oz Caramel Malt

Added the Orange peel and cinnamon during the boil, and added more cinnamon during fermentation. Fermented for 10 days.

This is my first holiday ale, and it's a recipe I found online. Any ideas how this will taste? Similarities? Will the cinnamon taste come through? Currently carbing in my keg.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: Holiday Ale
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 07:30:10 am »
Give it a taste.
Some guys actually force carbonate using a 20oz soda bottle. They install a valve in the cap and add c02 to the beer in the bottle and shake.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:06 am »
I'm guessing that you once started a brew day only to find that someone had taken your mash tun thinking it was a water cooler.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 11:09:04 am »
I added 2 crushed cinnamon sticks along with some freshly grated ginger at the end of the boil for my Christmas ale and the cinnamon comes through for me. I am a bit sensitive to cinnamon though so a small amount goes a long way for me.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:21 am »
How much cinnamon did you use? I assume the cinnamon and orange with come through fine considering the simple recipe. What yeast did you use?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline LeftyLucy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 04:23:01 pm »
I'm guessing that you once started a brew day only to find that someone had taken your mash tun thinking it was a water cooler.

...or someone in his family did.  :)

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:47:10 am »
So i tasted it. It almost has a coffee flavor to it, which isnt bad, but not what i expected or what i was going for. The cinnamon is almost non existent in the flavor, i wonder if that is because i added cinnamon sticks rather than ground cinnamon.

The overall beer looks slightly cloudy/murky. However there isnt any sediment in the bottom of my glass. Any ideas what could have caused this? The color is dark brown but the murkiness makes it almost light brown at the edges of the glass. Ill take a photo tonight and post it.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:52:30 am »
So i tasted it. It almost has a coffee flavor to it, which isnt bad, but not what i expected or what i was going for. The cinnamon is almost non existent in the flavor, i wonder if that is because i added cinnamon sticks rather than ground cinnamon.

The overall beer looks slightly cloudy/murky. However there isnt any sediment in the bottom of my glass. Any ideas what could have caused this? The color is dark brown but the murkiness makes it almost light brown at the edges of the glass. Ill take a photo tonight and post it.

I would think the murkiness is from cinnamon in suspension. It will likely clear up with some time.

How much did you use? I use 1 tsp of ground cinnamon per 5 gallons for light flavor.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 08:56:56 am »

I would think the murkiness is from cinnamon in suspension. It will likely clear up with some time.

How much did you use? I use 1 tsp of ground cinnamon per 5 gallons for light flavor.

i added 1 stick to the boil, and 1 stick during fermentation. I figured that would be more than enough. But when i racked into the keg the sticks had not deteriorated, so i assume i didnt get much cinnamon flavor out of them.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:42:17 am »
The sticks will not deteriorate.  If you think you need more cinnamon flavor, toss two more sticks into the keg.  Or soak them in vodka and then toss the whole mess into the keg.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:09:12 am »
The sticks will not deteriorate.  If you think you need more cinnamon flavor, toss two more sticks into the keg.  Or soak them in vodka and then toss the whole mess into the keg.

will i get any flavor from adding sticks to the keg, should i add ground cinnamon?? Will that mess with the system? clog the line?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 10:17:24 am »
I've done it (add sticks) with a pumpkin beer years ago.  It did give flavor, though probably not as much as if you use ground cinnamon.  It's also a gradual release of the flavor, so you won't have an immediate impact.

The best way to control the amount of flavor would be for you to make a tincture (cinnamon and vodka) and add the cinnamon vodka to the keg until you get the flavor you want.  I don't care for tinctures, personally, but they work.  And it will keep the grounds out of your keg.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:40 am »

i added 1 stick to the boil, and 1 stick during fermentation. I figured that would be more than enough. But when i racked into the keg the sticks had not deteriorated, so i assume i didnt get much cinnamon flavor out of them.
Did you notice any pellicle when you racked to keg? The only time I've had a confirmed (unintentional) infection in my beer was from adding whole cinnamon sticks at fermentation. I'm wondering if there is any chance that the haziness could be an infection.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer