Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing sugar  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewing sugar
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »
I will probably clear the cupboard of old sugars.

Offline steveg297

• 1st Kit
    • South Shore Brew Club
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »
Do you have the option of adding DME, LME or honey? I'm not a fan of adding simple sugar to increase alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why not?
I prefer the flavor and complexity of LME, DME and honey added after 2/3 of the fermentation is completed. I've used sugar in the past and gotten cidery flavors that I don't care for. Just my opinion.

"In search of the perfect pint!"

Offline steveg297

• 1st Kit
    • South Shore Brew Club
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »
Do you have the option of adding DME, LME or honey? I'm not a fan of adding simple sugar to increase alcohol.

I am.  Why waste the money on honey when you won't get anything from it but the sugar content, particularly if added to the boil?  DME and LME add more than just fermentable sugar.  Not a problem if that's what you want, but it doesn't sound like he does.
If sugar works for you, that's great. He's trying to free up room in his mash tun and I was suggesting other options if  they're available.  Both  LME and DME will add to the complexity as well as the alcohol level and honey added toward the end of fermentation will add alcohol and contribute flavor.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »

I am.  Why waste the money on honey when you won't get anything from it but the sugar content, particularly if added to the boil?  DME and LME add more than just fermentable sugar.  Not a problem if that's what you want, but it doesn't sound like he does.
If sugar works for you, that's great. He's trying to free up room in his mash tun and I was suggesting other options if  they're available.  Both  LME and DME will add to the complexity as well as the alcohol level and honey added toward the end of fermentation will add alcohol and contribute flavor.

That's a fair point.  I have no argument against using DME/LME to boost a beer that's too big for the mash tun.  You do have to be careful though, especially with a big beer, that it doesn't end up with too many unfermentables.  I would still recommend using sugar for a portion of the addition, but it doesn't need to be all of it.

As far as LME/DME, my recommendation would be to add Breiss Pils DME.  It's the lightest and most fermentable extract I have come across.  I haven't used LME in ages.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 04:11:53 pm »
For me, I would add a pound of sugar to aid dryness and avoid a sweet or overly malty beer. If I needed to makeup a large amount of gravity points, I'd use DME and sugar in a 2:3 ratio. Too much extract will leave way too many unfermentables.

Offline steveg297

• 1st Kit
    • South Shore Brew Club
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 04:21:41 pm »

That's a fair point.  I have no argument against using DME/LME to boost a beer that's too big for the mash tun.  You do have to be careful though, especially with a big beer, that it doesn't end up with too many unfermentables.  I would still recommend using sugar for a portion of the addition, but it doesn't need to be all of it.

As far as LME/DME, my recommendation would be to add Breiss Pils DME.  It's the lightest and most fermentable extract I have come across.  I haven't used LME in ages.
There are other questions too; what is the batch size, how many lbs. of grain, what is the final OG expected with the malt on hand? I'm not saying that you can't brew a good beer when you add sugar, but I wouldn't go more than 10% of the grain bill with sugar and I would increase the temp of the mash to offset the sugar. A barleywine is a great sipping by the fire kind of beer, it takes a lot of malt and a lot of time to get a good barleywine. I suggest considering everything before you brew and don't skimp on ingredients or in 8 months you'll be drinking a beer that's just okay. Just my opinion.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:03 am »

Why not?
I prefer the flavor and complexity of LME, DME and honey added after 2/3 of the fermentation is completed. I've used sugar in the past and gotten cidery flavors that I don't care for. Just my opinion.

I have used sugar dozens of times, maybe a hundred, and never gotten cidery flavors from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 09:46:25 am »
There are other questions too; what is the batch size, how many lbs. of grain, what is the final OG expected with the malt on hand? I'm not saying that you can't brew a good beer when you add sugar, but I wouldn't go more than 10% of the grain bill with sugar and I would increase the temp of the mash to offset the sugar. A barleywine is a great sipping by the fire kind of beer, it takes a lot of malt and a lot of time to get a good barleywine. I suggest considering everything before you brew and don't skimp on ingredients or in 8 months you'll be drinking a beer that's just okay. Just my opinion.

Do you brew Belgian styles?  They are often 20+% sugar.  And for the BW, the idea is to thin the body to balance all the malt. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 09:52:30 am »
Have you considered dark candi syrup?  I brewed an English BW last weekend and added a pound of D-90 because I love that dark raisiny plum flavor coming through. I also added 3.3# of LME along with the 18# MO to save mash space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 10:21:21 am »
When brewing a batch for the first time, my efficiency is more unpredictable than I would like. Sometimes I will use small amounts of table sugar (under 5%) to hit my OG and promote higher attenuation as I like pretty dry beer. I have yet to find any negatives other than not being a good enough brewer to hit my predicted OG with any consistency...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:22:59 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 05:51:27 am »

Why not?

I have used sugar dozens of times, maybe a hundred, and never gotten cidery flavors from it.
+1 No ciders flavors with enough viable yeast, up to 20% sugar.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 08:29:40 am »
Same here.  That said, I do imagine if you were to brew a real light lager (IE 80's EDME lager kit) with 20% sugar you could potentially get some off flavors since there is nowhere to hide.  I'd stick to 10% on the BW.   Before I forget, make sure you use a metric $hit ton of yeast on it.  I would probably brew a normal gravity ale first and pitch on the cake and then hopefully you don't become a "my beer stalled" thread. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 08:38:50 am »
Same here.  That said, I do imagine if you were to brew a real light lager (IE 80's EDME lager kit) with 20% sugar you could potentially get some off flavors since there is nowhere to hide.  I'd stick to 10% on the BW.   Before I forget, make sure you use a metric $hit ton of yeast on it.  I would probably brew a normal gravity ale first and pitch on the cake and then hopefully you don't become a "my beer stalled" thread. 

+2.  But even a pale beer like a tripel should be cidery with its simple pils and sugar grist (I use ~ 12% sugar) and it isn't. IMO the issue was never the sugar addition - it was limited availability of often old, poorly stored yeast and severe underpitching by today's standards that created the cidery flavors and the 'conventional wisdom' about adding sugar to the recipe.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:42:49 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:34 am »
Touche'  Funny...  Just what the heck DOES "cidery" mean?  Thin or fruity or both?  Best term I've heard used regarding sugar in Belgian beers is that sugar makes the beer more "digestable".   

Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Stevie

Brewing sugar
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 09:26:36 am »
Cidery isn't thin to me. It's more very dry with limited mouth feel.

ETA - also has a bit of a pucker to it
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:32:42 am by Stevie »