Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil over: foam is good or not?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline martylap

• 1st Kit
Boil over: foam is good or not?
« on: November 06, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »
Hi, i just got my first boil over. I pass to 15 g kettle to a 8 g for some reason but, this boil over, damn!

Ok, now. J. Palmer say this is bas to loose that foam and in other way some people skimming that foam to get it off.

I'm not sure, did i lost something in that boil over or not? The beer will be ok?

Thank you

Martin

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Boil over: foam is good or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 01:53:39 pm »
I'm sure beer will be fine.  Given that there are people that say you want it and those that say you should skim it, I think it is safe to say that neither will ruin the beer.  If one of those did, then I imagine the people in that camp would stop doing it. 

I have had a few boil overs (mostly since I went electric for some reason), and the main thing that I think it has done is the boil over taking out hops that were in the boil at that point.  The hops tend to stick to the bubbles and go out of the pot with them, so those hops would have some diminished effect (some oils probably got in before they boiled over).

Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:06:00 am »
The worse part of a boilover is the mess to be cleaned up.  RDWHAHB!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:30:55 am »
You picked a topic that has been discussed (argued over?) many times over the years.  I don't know of any agreed on consensus that has ever been reached.

IMHO - I do not skim off the hot break because, frankly, it seems like too much work.  On the other side of that I don't sweat it if I have a boil over either (except for cussing myself out for making more clean up work).   I don't think it matters enough to make a difference in my beers.

As they say, RDWHAHB.   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:55:22 am »
I skim the hot break just to help clarify the wort a bit more. I figure if I remove it early on, it is less that will settle out on the bottom of the kettle and make for easier separation of clear wort into the fermenter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:01:09 am »
I skim the hot break just to help clarify the wort a bit more. I figure if I remove it early on, it is less that will settle out on the bottom of the kettle and make for easier separation of clear wort into the fermenter.

Actually, studies have shown that having trub in the fermenter appears to be a good thing.  Beers fermented with trub have been found to be clearer and be preferred in taste to those that have had the trub removed.  Weird, counter intuitive, I know....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:55 am »

Actually, studies have shown that having trub in the fermenter appears to be a good thing.  Beers fermented with trub have been found to be clearer and be preferred in taste to those that have had the trub removed.  Weird, counter intuitive, I know....

Oh, I am sure I get some trub into my fermenters. It is unavoidable with my setup. But mostly clear wort goes in first.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 11:11:04 am »
The worst problem with a boilover is an angry significant other when you don't clean it up sufficiently.

My wife still hates the burnt wort I haven't completely cleaned from the stovetop.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 08:36:36 am »

Did our own triangle test a couple of brew club meetings ago, where I dumped all the trub in one and no trub in the other fermenter. Everyone could pick out the the odd beer out and everyone preferred the "trubby" beer. Now I make sure that each fermenter gets equal amounts of trub. Do you have links to the studies, Denny?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 09:36:14 am »

Did our own triangle test a couple of brew club meetings ago, where I dumped all the trub in one and no trub in the other fermenter. Everyone could pick out the the odd beer out and everyone preferred the "trubby" beer. Now I make sure that each fermenter gets equal amounts of trub. Do you have links to the studies, Denny?

Here's one....http://hbd.org/discus/messages/40327/41534.html .  Brulosophy did the other one and you should be able to find it there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:37:56 am »
A little cold break is beneficial to yeast health.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

The Beerery

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 06:59:35 am »
A little cold break is beneficial to yeast health.

Indeed!  All brewing texts pretty much say explicitly hot break should be removed, along with "most" of cold as well. I am guessing why people see positive results with trub laden beers is the FAN in the cold trub, which is energizing yeast and helping them perform better. A lot of positive things happen with happy yeast.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 06:29:53 am »
I think its worth noting that a single bottle of defoamer can last you years and aleviate much of the concern here. I LITERALLY just just hot my butt saved by two drops about 15 minutes ago. I was weighing out my hops for all of a minute and i turned around to see my boil kettle about to boil over! Luckily i had added a few drops of defoamer during runnoff jist in case... the boil over never went over the top of the kettle and settled quickly, saving me a massive mess and headache.
Fwiw i have skimmed and not skimmed dozens of batches and I have never noticed a difference that I can purely contribute to that. Cold crashing and/or gelatin (of kegging) are the only thinga that i have found to give me crystal clear beer every time.

Offline LeftyLucy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 03:40:07 pm »
"The worst problem with a boilover is an angry significant other when you don't clean it up sufficiently.

My wife still hates the burnt wort I haven't completely cleaned from the stovetop."

I have found that it helps a LOT to make a burner protector out of tinfoil and put that under my brew kettle.  I can't tell you how many times I've taken that protector off covered with crud and thanked my stars it wasn't on the stove.

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »
"The worst problem with a boilover is an angry significant other when you don't clean it up sufficiently.

My wife still hates the burnt wort I haven't completely cleaned from the stovetop."

I have found that it helps a LOT to make a burner protector out of tinfoil and put that under my brew kettle.  I can't tell you how many times I've taken that protector off covered with crud and thanked my stars it wasn't on the stove.

I always have thought of myself as a smart man, but 10+ batches of wort spills cooked onto the stovetop without thinking of this, I am now having doubts.  Gonna do this next time! (assuming I can get the old crud cleaned up)