Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: porter fermentation  (Read 7537 times)

Offline caro

• 1st Kit
porter fermentation
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:07:35 am »
I brewed my first porter on Saturday and have a few questions around fermentation.  Normally I rack to secondary (on advice of local brew shop) after 2 weeks and then bottle after 2 weeks.  I’ve read mixed reviews on racking to a secondary.  What is your advice on fermenting my porter?  Do I rack to secondary? Or, just leave it in primary and for how long?

Once fermentation is complete and I bottle it how long do I bottle condition for?

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: porter fermentation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:03:48 am »
No need to transfer to a secondary vessel.
The porter will almost certainly be done in two weeks but you can verify that by checking gravity over a couple of days.
Bottle conditioning usually takes about 2 weeks. Just keep the bottles somewhere that stays around 70 degrees.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:09:18 am »
Here's what John Palmer had to say on this forum....https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg191642#msg191642

Therefore I, and Jamil and White Labs and Wyeast Labs, do not recommend racking to a secondary fermenter for ANY ale, except when conducting an actual second fermentation, such as adding fruit or souring. Racking to prevent autolysis is not necessary, and therefore the risk of oxidation is completely avoidable. Even lagers do not require racking to a second fermenter before lagering. With the right pitching rate, using fresh healthy yeast, and proper aeration of the wort prior to pitching, the fermentation of the beer will be complete within 3-8 days (bigger = longer).
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline caro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:22:32 am »
Thanks for the replies that's what I've been reading.  I'll move to bottling once fermentation is complete!

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 01:22:51 pm »
What they said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »
Here's what John Palmer had to say on this forum....https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg191642#msg191642

Therefore I, and Jamil and White Labs and Wyeast Labs, do not recommend racking to a secondary fermenter for ANY ale, except when conducting an actual second fermentation, such as adding fruit or souring. Racking to prevent autolysis is not necessary, and therefore the risk of oxidation is completely avoidable. Even lagers do not require racking to a second fermenter before lagering. With the right pitching rate, using fresh healthy yeast, and proper aeration of the wort prior to pitching, the fermentation of the beer will be complete within 3-8 days (bigger = longer).

What about for dry hopping?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:55:57 pm »
I don't rack for dry hopping. I sanitize a hop bag and some glass marbles and drop it right into the primary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:40 am »
What about for dry hopping?

I always rack before dry hopping.  I have found unpleasant interactions between yeast and hops and I want to avoid that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 09:42:54 am »
I always rack before dry hopping.  I have found unpleasant interactions between yeast and hops and I want to avoid that.

Same. Just preference.
Jon H.