Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fix tart beer  (Read 3888 times)

Offline c11634

• 1st Kit
Fix tart beer
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:49:12 pm »
I made a cherry belgian brown ale and it's just too tart, I have tried corn syrup and maple syrup to balance it, not too good, any suggestions?

Thanks

narvin

Re: Fix tart beer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:27 pm »
Is it acidic?  You may be able to use some Calcium Carbonate to counteract this.  Try it with a pint, and if it works, scale it up.

There are people who use eggshells to mellow out sour beers that are too acetic, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try that.  Or I'd at least boil the eggs first  ;)

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:17:46 pm »
Perhaps blend it into your next batch?
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 07:10:24 am »
Is it acidic?  You may be able to use some Calcium Carbonate to counteract this.  Try it with a pint, and if it works, scale it up.

I've used Potassium Carbonate for Mead.  Never tried Calcium Carbonate other then the mash.  Does Calcium Carbonate not give a chalky flavor?

narvin

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:38:17 am »

I've used Potassium Carbonate for Mead.  Never tried Calcium Carbonate other then the mash.  Does Calcium Carbonate not give a chalky flavor?

If you do this for a whole batch, I would let it settle and rack off the sediment before bottling.

See here for some more details:

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/thread.html?tid=1108752780%20&th=1208531897&pg=&tpg=1