Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mailing again  (Read 2083 times)

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
Mailing again
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:39:12 am »
 How do you guys  legally mail homebrews to friends or competitions 

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Mailing again
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:14:16 am »
Mailing home brew can depend upon the laws of your State.  In some states it is illegal to take home brew out of your domicile.  Some States have made exceptions for charity or competitions.  Start by looking for your State laws.

You cannot mail alcohol via the USPS.  It is illegal unless you have a license.  Fed Ex has rules against it unless you have a licence and agreement with Fed Ex.  UPS may be the exception.  You can be liable for damages if a package leaks.   

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:37:21 am »

You cannot legally mail homebrew.  You can ship it with Fedex, DHL, UPS but they have policies against it so you can't tell them what it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:36:30 am »

You cannot legally mail homebrew.  You can ship it with Fedex, DHL, UPS but they have policies against it so you can't tell them what it is.

This^^^^^. If they even ask, I usually tell them its books (for the weight) and fancy juice drinks (for any sloshing of liquids they may here in the box).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:52:45 am »

This^^^^^. If they even ask, I usually tell them its books (for the weight) and fancy juice drinks (for any sloshing of liquids they may here in the box).

I just say it's "gifts".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:47 am »
UPS (I bet Fedex does this too) has a website where you can make the label and pay on line. Then you drop it off without telling them anything. By the way, I haven't been asked, yet.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »
I take 2 boxes the same size and force one into the other. This makes a double tough shell. Then I pack with bubble wrap nice and tight so nothing can move. I buy and print a label...Then someone in a little white truck picks it up from my front porch. I know mom...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »
I started shipping in a cooler packed tight in a box after I got a  legal letter from FedEx They return my beer in a  different box and none of the bottles were damaged Thanks everyone who chimed in

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:45:28 pm »
One year at GABF, I shipped bottles home to myself.  They were actually cherry juice, not alcoholic.  I went to a Staples, bought a box, wrap, and tape.  Went out to the car to box up the bottles, then brought them back to the shipping guy.  He asked what it was (the store was right near a huuuge liquor and beer store), and I told him it was cherry juice.  He looked at me, I looked back at him, and said open it up if you don't believe me.  And he did.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org