Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop utilization vs. boil gravity  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop utilization vs. boil gravity
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 03:12:48 pm »
I think he covered this on a recent episode of brew strong.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »
Very interesting John/Denny/dmtaylor

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 05:40:27 pm »
The easiest thing to do is to break out the time divisor (4.15) from GTs equation and make it variable for tailoring utilization.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 09:40:35 am »
It makes me wonder if you get more utilization in an extract brew than in AG.  Kinda seems like you would.  I may have to try some tests.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 09:56:20 am »
It makes me wonder if you get more utilization in an extract brew than in AG.  Kinda seems like you would.  I may have to try some tests.

You may be right!  Intriguing.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 10:10:27 am »
Maybe this is an argument for skimming.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 10:18:39 am »

Yeah, wow.  Funny how we might rediscover lost knowledge from the past that brings us full-circle.  Then again...... more experiments are needed because maybe this whole thing is just moot.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 10:22:45 am »

Yeah, wow.  Funny how we might rediscover lost knowledge from the past that brings us full-circle.  Then again...... more experiments are needed because maybe this whole thing is just moot.
Cold side proteins wouldn't be affected by skimming, but I imagine large flocs must absorb some goodness.

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 10:31:00 am »
IF I am not mistaken, initial boil foaming and actual hot break are 2 different things.. Even if you skimmed the entire time(since hot break takes time to fully develop) I doubt you would get it all.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 03:53:58 pm »
I have thought that is why some say Tinseth works best all grain, but Rager is better for extract.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »
I have thought that is why some say Tinseth works best all grain, but Rager is better for extract.
I thought it was more partial vs full boil. Man some of these truths have been around forever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 10:39:49 am »
I thought it was more partial vs full boil. Man some of these truths have been around forever.

I think this is correct.  It may be that because extract is more often partial boil that it came to be associated with that, too.  I intend to try to contact Glenn Tinseth to see if he ever tested with extract.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 11:28:06 am »
FWIW, I have been talking to Glenn Tinseth about all of this.  He did all of his testing with all grain wort, mainly from commercial breweries here and abroad  He is skeptical about the role of proteins in hop utilization.  I sent him the info I have and the discussion will hopefully continue.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 04:09:00 pm »
Luckily his equations are perfect for tailoring to different systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk