Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Not To Home Brew (Video)  (Read 1956 times)

Offline chrisluki

• 1st Kit
How Not To Home Brew (Video)
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »
Hey guys

Just joined up here...a friend suggested it was a good site for building my home brewing knowledge, even if we are on opposite sides of the globe.

I love everything home brewing and craft beer and dedicate a lot of my spare time to brewing, sampling, writing and making videos about it. Some of you might have seen some of my posts over on Reddit?

Anyway, hopefully I don't break any rules by posting this as my firs communication with you but I have just finished my second "How Not To Homebrew" video...basically me learning from my mistakes in the home brew shed. I have had some great feedback from other home brewers, so feel free to let me have it!

Link to my intro article on these videos - http://beerhealer.com/index.php/2016/11/07/how-not-to-home-brew-videos/
Direct link to the new video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MThOvmTIk4

Cheers to great beers

Chris

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How Not To Home Brew (Video)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:05:48 am »
 Great video man!  One thing I did, prior to using a RIMMS tube, I insulated my Budweiser mash tun with the aluminum/fiberglass insulation that you can get at your local hardware store (the stuff used for insulating ductwork). I also used some 2" styrofoam for the bottom of the keg so that heat didn't escape.  On my temp test run, it maintained temperature for nearly two hours with the use of a lid and towels on top of the lid. Good thing is it is a very cheap option and will last you a long time; you also don't have to remove it. If I find an old picture I will post it for reference. Cheers!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:36:50 am »
I suppose being "down under" you can't employ gravity because liquid probably runs up and you'd have to turn your kettles over to catch it.  Just takin the Mickey out of you mate. Watching someone else brew is always a great learning experience. Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:17 am »
I suppose being "down under" you can't employ gravity because liquid probably runs up and you'd have to turn your kettles over to catch it.  Just takin the Mickey out of you mate. Watching someone else brew is always a great learning experience. Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

I think gravity still pulls "down" but I'm pretty sure you have stir your mash and whirlpool counter clockwise to make things work.

;)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:34:01 pm »
No need to sanitize that hop bag...it's going into boiling wort.
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline rusty_tlc

• 1st Kit
  • Yeasty beastie
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »
Nice video, I really liked the quality of the filming as well as the concise explanations of what you were doing and why. Nothing spoils a video like a lot of blather, you were direct and to the point, with no over explaining. Great Job!!!

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:13:09 am »
This is a legit question.  When you flush the toilet, does it go down counter-clockwise?  Seriously,  post a video to prove it; using a clean toilet please...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk