Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using real chocolate  (Read 6380 times)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Using real chocolate
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »
The flavoring used for coffee can and do get used...be careful how much you add though... I've personally found Stirling brand to be the best one. Also with any brand you pick, look around, they have multiple chocolate flavors...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 01:59:24 pm »
I haven't tried cocoa powder, that sounds good dak0415... and I want to make a nice holiday beer, got a recipe you would share?   8)
Recipe: Mocha Porter #7
Brewer: Dave Koenig
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 12.00 gal      
Boil Size: 15.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 32.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount         Item                                     Type         % or IBU    
15 lbs         Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (1.8 SRM)           Grain        62.50 %      
3 lbs          Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)           Grain        12.50 %      
2 lbs          Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)    Grain        8.33 %      
1 lbs          Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain        4.17 %      
1 lbs          Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain        4.17 %      
1 lbs          Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)               Grain        4.17 %      
8.0 oz         Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain        2.08 %      
8.0 oz         Roasted Barley (450.0 SRM)               Grain        2.08 %      
46.00 gm       Pearle [8.20 %]  (90 min)                Hops         20.8 IBU    
43.00 gm       Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %]  (30 min)   Hops         12.2 IBU    
28.00 gm       Fuggles [4.20 %]  (15 min)               Hops         3.0 IBU      
0.26 tsp       Super Moss (Boil 15.0 min)               Misc                      
1.00 tsp       Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)           Misc                      
0.50 gm        Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)         Misc                      
4.00 oz        Cocoa (Secondary 7.0 days)               Misc                      
28.00 gm       Chalk (Mash 60.0 min)                    Misc                      

British Ale (White Labs #WLP005).  Make 4L starter each or pitch on 1/2 slurry from previous batch.
This yeast needs enough to finish in 3 days, then rouse yeast for 2 more days.            

Mash Schedule: RIMS Mash, 152 deg , Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 24.00 lb
----------------------------
RIMS Mash, 152 deg , Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp    
60 min        Saccrification     Add 8.00 gal of water at 163.0 F    152.0 F      

Last Xmas I made this and added the 2oz of cocoa to one carboy and 1 lb of honey to the other, Called that one Santa's Little Helper (6.2% ABV).  That one was REAL popular too!

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »
I've only used cocoa nibs and found that if they are put in the boil they will contribute a fair amount of bitterness but the the aroma disappears.  I have been adding them at flame out and letting them steep for about 15 minutes before I cool the wort.  This gives decent chocolate aroma but not a ton of flavor.   After reading some of the previous post maybe I'll try adding some cocoa powder along with the nibs.

I think the quality of the chocolate (in whatever form) will affect the final product...so I would not use hershey's and if you use a cheap chocolate flavoring your beer will taste like tootsie rolls...of course if you really like tootsie rolls go for it   :)

Offline craigg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 04:45:18 pm »
Denny,
Any advice on quantity using the extract?

Offline dj99

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:50:09 pm »
I've used the extract (Watkins), and my experience is that a little goes a long way.  Try 1/4 oz at a time in a 5 gallon batch and see if it's to your liking.  It does add a nice chocolate flavor.  More is definitely not better, but quite the opposite.

I've read that Rogue uses chocolate extract in their chocolate stout that was developed for export to Japan, but is available here.
I loves to Homebrew!
(in SW Washington)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »
I also want to mention, that a touch of vanilla will accentuate the chocolate,
It kind of gets the aroma rolling.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 07:01:14 am »
Denny,
Any advice on quantity using the extract?

I just go by trial, Greg.  Tastes vary and the amount you want will vary depending on the beer.  I just add a bit to the bottling bucket or keg and taste, adjust if necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ipaisay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 05:42:34 am »
I have been messing around with cacao nibs a lot in the last 6 months.  I have always put them in secondary (usually tied to a keg dip tube in a vodka soaked disposable hop bag).  Yes, gently crush the nibs before placing in the bag. 

I find that the crush + Vodka bag help to pull out more flavor of the chocolate into the beer.  A min of 4 weeks is needed. Warm or cold didn't make too much difference as far as secondary temp controlled. 

The last thing is that the chocolate flavors really opened up more in a darker and higher ABV beer than lighter ABV and color beers.

I have worked on blond ales, american ryes, and Baltic porters with nibs.  Makes sense to me, but the Baltic Porter was the best!

Remember, Cacao nibs are not chocolate.  So plan the beer to have a nice residual gravity or a big mouthfeel (rye really helps here) to help give the "chocolate flavor" more push in your finished beer.  Early tastes of the nibs will give you an earthly aroma and flavor, but tends to die out over a month. 

Offline qcbeerguy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 03:30:56 pm »
I have used cocoa powder in making a chocolate blond.  I was not having the sweetness I wanted so I added 8 oz. of lactose, it is unfermentable by yeast so it will stay in the beer.  Next batch I am planning on using the chocolate extract.  My beer is based off of a chocolate blond brewed at America's Brewpub in Aurora, IL.  My loves the beer, because it is not a stout or porter that you usually find that has chocolate added to it.