Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp! Help!  (Read 1467 times)

Offline pnwlife718

• 1st Kit
Fermentation temp! Help!
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »
Brand new to the site and first post. So this is my 6th all grain batch and I've had success in the past. I brewed a robust Porter yesterday and this morning it was at 62 degrees in the closet with no activity. I moved it upstairs and turned the thermostat to 70 at 6 am. I got home at 5 pm and the beer was really warm and very active. I took a sample and it was at 100 degrees! I immediately got it in an ice bath and cooled to 75 now and back in the closet. The yeast strain was wlp005.

My question is, will I have lots of esters or fusels if it was only for 10-12 hours of fermentation? Cheers

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fermentation temp! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:44:23 pm »
First check your thermometer. There is no way that a fermenter at 70° ambient can hit 100°. I don't care how exothermic fermentation is, 100° isn't happening.

You'll never know until you taste it. Just keep the temp stable and it will be ok. Jacking with it back and forth is bad news.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermentation temp! Help!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:39:04 am »
You were much better off at 62 IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fermentation temp! Help!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
Yeah exothermic temp swings are +/-10F no where near 30F.  Easy check is ice water should be +/-1F of 32F.  If it's a dial thermometer you can adjust with pliers to 32F or boiling water to ~210.5-212F depending on your altitude mountains are what? 205F

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)