Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Guru - Any way to turn off location notifications?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline m_c_zero

• 1st Kit
Brew Guru - Any way to turn off location notifications?
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:59:53 am »
I have the Brew Guru app and enjoy it but I'm not seeing how to turn off the notifications when I'm near a location that offers discounts.  This is a great feature if I'm just out and about but I actually work right next to a brewery and a homebrew store which both offer AHA discounts so my phone is constantly going off when I drive by them.  I've gone into the App settings on my phone and disabled all notification options but I'm still getting them.  I guess I can just turn off the location permission and just turn it back on when I am interested in having it on.  It would be nice if there were a way to say "I'm not interested" or something of the like to make the notification for that particular place not show up again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:04:36 am by m_c_zero »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brew Guru - Any way to turn off location notifications?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:29:19 am »
Android or iOS?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline m_c_zero

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 12:47:16 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 01:11:05 pm »
Android or iOS?

Sorry, Android.

Yeah, me too.  Unfortunately, on Android you have to disable location services globally, not per app.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 02:51:07 pm »
In the current issue of Zymurgy Gary talks up being able to turn it off on in certain places but only on iPhones.

We Android uses don't get that option.   :'(

It's an OS design thing, not really an app issue.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 02:56:44 pm »
That seems like a big missed requirement on the Android front. Then again, your location is valuable data. I have some apps on my iPhone that should never need location services, yet they ask on first launch. Apps like a solitaire game, a unit converter, and a level.

Offline m_c_zero

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 02:59:15 pm »
My phone has "per app" location permissions.  I just wish there were a way to click "Do not show again" or something on the notification.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 03:16:43 pm »
Many iOS apps allow for location services only while using. This is the setting I use with Brew Guru. If I need to look at an area, I simply open the app. Does android offer similar functionality?