Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest  (Read 6981 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »
I bought a six-pack of this beer shortly after returning home from Germany this August. My last meal in Germany was at the Hofbrau Brauhaus in the Frankfurt airport, drinking a liter of festbier. I drank lots of festbiers and marzens while I was in Germany, even though I did not go to Munich this time. SN's Oktoberfest was worse than any I drank in Germany. I thought it tasted overly tart and not the right kind of malty. It reminded me of a homebrewed pilsner made with old extract.

Yuck.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 11:38:45 pm »
I am trying my first one tonight.  The mild complexity really caught my attention, and motivated me to come make a report here.  I get the spicy hop note with a balanced bready/crust maltiness.  I think it is delicious.  It has a long pleasant aftertaste which I think is dominated by yeast driven flavors.  Not my favorite style, but I find it very interesting and very pleasant to drink.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2016, 02:35:11 am »
I bought a six pack and drank half so far. I wasnt dissapointed but it also wasnt what I was expecting. I really liked last years batch. When I have Oktoberfest in mind thats what fits the bill for me. I know this is all together different, cant even compare the two. Ill drink it but I wouldnt run out to buy another 6 pack. But I really like what SN is doing with the different breweries and the Oktoberfest.

At least they do mention on the packaging that is in the "vein" of a festbier.
Pretty sure las year's batch was a Festbier too.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 02:56:44 pm »
I could be wrong, but I think last year's batch was in the Marzen tradition. I'll have to look that one up though to be sure.