Author Topic: Finally decided to post  (Read 1204 times)

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
Finally decided to post
« on: November 11, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »
Well, I'm finally saying hi after years of trolling this site. I would like to thank all of you who regularly contribute here, as you have helped me grow in my brewing and my passion for brewing exponentially over the last few years.

A little about me. I'm a 29 year old dad from Vermont and a proud member of the 158th Fighter Wing, Vermonts own "Green Mountain Boys". A network administrator by trade, i brew solely to feed my inner geek (well i also get great beer out of it...) I started brewing about 7 years ago now, i started with extract batches and actually stuck with them for longer than many. I lived in a small apartment and was always afraid of the amount of space and time all grain brewing would take up.
Fast forward to now... thanks to DENNY and the many  many other helpful folks on this forum that I have stalked through countless threads, I have adopted the batch sparge lifestyle! I also dabble in cider every fall with great results so far.
Oh and one more thing, as youll see below, I am cheap as hell. Skinflint is my middle name, and I am proud of it! I have haggled, cobbled and found just about everything in my brewery for free or rock bottom pricing. What can I say, I'm an enlisted guy with mouths to feed and hey, who doesn't like saving money!
My setup: 
8.5 gallon morebeer dual port kettle w/ball valve and thermometer. By far my most expensive item, but I love it!
Bayue classic banjo burner
Homemade fermentation chamber w/$6 home hacked temp controller and lightbulb heater(my proudest achievement...tear)
12 cu ft kenmore fridge i use to hold 1 of 3 ball lock kegs... and you KNOW I'm rockig cobra taps!
My most recent and newest addition... a $17 voctoria style grain mill!

I just started buying in bulk, to save money obviously! I am currently boiling my first home ground batch of best bitter, so we will see if my cheapness paid off...
Now to calculate some recipes using only the $5/lb hop varieties i just bought from hops direct...hmmm.
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to finally contributing what I can after all these years!
-Chris
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:16:54 PM by 802Chris »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Finally decided to post
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum (and obsession) !  Good bunch of folks here.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
Hello Chris. Welcome aboard.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Welcome! From another frugal brewer.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum (and obsession) !  Good bunch of folks here.
Plus 1

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron); House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  BVIP, Czech Dark Lager

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:44:29 PM »
Cool!  Love to hear how different people tackle our favorite hobby. Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!

Brewinhard