Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your favorite malt and hop of the year.  (Read 6477 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Your favorite malt and hop of the year.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 03:15:01 pm »
malt - Loughran ale malt
hop - too many to choose
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Your favorite malt and hop of the year.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 08:12:34 pm »
Malt: I tried Simpsons Heritage Crystal for the first time in 2016. I use it in an all Maris Otter Pale Ale and love it.

Hops: I reviewed all my 2016 grain bills and didn't see any new hops. Pretty pedestrian stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:27:13 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 04:47:59 am »
Malt - Not one malt really, just the concept of blending British base malts instead of just using Maris Otter.

Hop - EKG. Probably always will be. Saaz is runner up.
Phil,   would you share your thoughts on blending British base malts?

I've only done it once myself, but it's a big enough difference that I'm going to experiment with it more. It just broadens the flavor out.

Though I haven't tried a blend with MO yet, this is probably the easiest way to explain how I feel. You ever notice how a MO based bitter is just really intensely bready/toasty? Blending kinda cuts that intensity down a bit, while bringing some other "surrounding" flavors up to a noticeable level.

I plan to try it with a bitter in the near future, so far I've only done it in a stout.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 06:26:57 am »
Malts for this year would be British crystal/cara malts, Simpson's and Crisp. I find the flavor in the UK malts adds more then American crystal. The dark Munich from Avangard 15* L is my favorite Munich, very rich and malty, great in dark beers.       Hops would be Amarillo, Centennial and Citra  in American styles. EKG and Willamette in English styles. Might be boring to some but I am a traditionalist and don't brew many exotic styles.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 06:54:04 am »
Malt - Not one malt really, just the concept of blending British base malts instead of just using Maris Otter.

I've only done it once myself, but it's a big enough difference that I'm going to experiment with it more. It just broadens the flavor out.

Though I haven't tried a blend with MO yet, this is probably the easiest way to explain how I feel. You ever notice how a MO based bitter is just really intensely bready/toasty? Blending kinda cuts that intensity down a bit, while bringing some other "surrounding" flavors up to a noticeable level.

I plan to try it with a bitter in the near future, so far I've only done it in a stout.
Due to warmer weather in England of late, Maris Otter has high protein levels some years. It is blended with other varieties to drop the protein so that haze is not a problem. Muntons calls their MO a blend.
http://www.muntons-inc.com/craft-brewery-products/

At a club event I got a bag of Muntons that is all MO, it was donated by a club member who went pro (Becker Brewery in Brighton, MI), and it was said to be a premium price over the blend. Brewed an English IPA last Week.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 09:03:16 am »
Malt: Vienna
Hop: Simcoe

Put them together for a pale/IPA and you've got magic.
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 09:06:14 am »
Malt - carared
Hop - Equinox/Ekuanot
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 09:34:04 am »

Due to warmer weather in England of late, Maris Otter has high protein levels some years. It is blended with other varieties to drop the protein so that haze is not a problem. Muntons calls their MO a blend.
http://www.muntons-inc.com/craft-brewery-products/

At a club event I got a bag of Muntons that is all MO, it was donated by a club member who went pro (Becker Brewery in Brighton, MI), and it was said to be a premium price over the blend. Brewed an English IPA last Week.

That may explain why my last round of Bitter had chill haze, I think I used wither Crisp or Fawcett.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 02:58:45 pm »
Malt - Carabrown
Hop - Idaho 7
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 04:23:46 pm »

Several months ago I brewed an attempt at an 1800s IPA. I figured there was no way to get malt to match what was available 200 years ago so I did a blend of what British malts I had on hand: pearl, optic, and halcyon.
I love goldings also. I have some growing in my backyard: not identical to EKG, but close. I also have sterlings growing.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 04:30:55 pm »
Several months ago I brewed an attempt at an 1800s IPA. I figured there was no way to get malt to match what was available 200 years ago so I did a blend of what British malts I had on hand: pearl, optic, and halcyon.

That sounds like a great beer !
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 04:37:03 pm »
Malt - nothing new for me
Hop - Equinox is my favorite of the newer varieties
Dan Chisholm

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »
Where did you get the Aurora. I got a pound and found they taste really muddy.

I don't think Aurora tastes muddy; it's possible you got a poorly handled pound of hops.

OTOH you may just taste the flavor of that particular hop that way. Styrian hops and Fuggles are related. Much in the same way people find Fuggles's earthy flavor to taste like straight dirt, you may find earthy elements of Aurora overwhelming.

I think that was it. I used it in a Cali Common and it was pretty overwhelming.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »

I think it will be, I hopped the beejeezus out of it (close to 200 IBUs on paper) and have it aging in the cellar. It will be time to give it a taste before too much longer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 06:07:00 pm »

I think it will be, I hopped the beejeezus out of it (close to 200 IBUs on paper) and have it aging in the cellar. It will be time to give it a taste before too much longer.
I had a beer made at Bell's with Chevallier malt from Crisp. The variety is about 200 years old. The beer was open fermented in the old Stroh's wooden vats. It was bready, like a really good baguette, with some walnut paste lightly spread on it. I loved it.

Good luck finding some of that. Crisp only contracts very limited acres. I wish I could find a bag of that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!