Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Card benefits  (Read 4947 times)

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
Card benefits
« on: November 11, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »
I am visiting up in Asheville N.C. and have tried to use my A.H.A card for the first time and have found that no one is honoring what is said to be honored. When I say not honored .. no notta nothing. "Oh we don't do that". Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Card benefits
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »
I was at BJ's in Virginia over the summer and the servers didn't seem to even know what it was.  After they took my phone (had a picture of the card) for 5 minutes, they came back and honored it.

There's no a lot of places around me but the ones that do honor it have been great. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:41:24 pm »
I've used the Brew Guru app at multiple places in Indy with no problems. It has all the latest discount information in it. If you aren't using that, I recommend you try it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:01:08 pm »
The brew guru shows the same I pulled off the site and they don't honor them. Example is new Belgium would not honor the 15% off merchandise nor the globe glass

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:20:54 pm »
I think we are such a small community that many employees simply don't know. Ive used it at dozens of locations and I've had "trouble" about 50% of time. A server at one location near me doesn't even check my card anymore, yet another guy there questioned said "we don't do that" an hour later.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 03:50:46 pm »
I think we are such a small community that many employees simply don't know. Ive used it at dozens of locations and I've had "trouble" about 50% of time. A server at one location near me doesn't even check my card anymore, yet another guy there questioned said "we don't do that" an hour later.

Same thing around here. A few places (or servers) know with no questions, but some others look at you like you're trying to steal their wallet. Occasionally you can see them talk to the manager or owner who clears it all up. Until the next time.

Edit -  Honestly though, it's been at a place or two with the repeated issues, likely from new employees not being trained properly/remembering the training. Otherwise I haven't had issues at all. I like the app a lot.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:06:54 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 03:57:36 pm »
There used to be lhbs near me...I stopped in one day to pick up some supplies, and that store didn't honor it. Gee...I wonder why he closed down?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 10:02:49 am »
If you have problems, try contacting Matt Bolling.....matt@brewersassociation.org
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 11:52:24 am »
I've had very few places not honor what is listed online.

Normally, as others have said, it's a front line employee who just doesn't know about the discount.  I have had a couple times where management said the information was wrong or they were not offering it yet. Both places seemed highly mismanaged so it wasn't too surprising.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:34:42 am »
I would say that the assumption is that the customer is BS-ing to try to get something for free/discounted.  This is not just the AHA card but a service industry thing IME.  Ever have a bartender refuse to believe you when you tell them there is something wrong with the beer or tap line? 

"Son I've been doing this longer than you've been alive and I know what Porter tastes like.  This is basically an oud bruin.  But no, go ahead and keep treating me like this is my first beer and don't know jack"

In the end, I've used my AHA card exactly zero times.  It hasn't been worth the effort to argue.

whatever.  it's not why I'm a member.  But when people ask me if they should be members I don't describe the discounts as benefits either.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »
Haha if a bartender ever talked to me like that, I would find another bar. As far as membership, the only place I use it is my lhbs. It's not worth the effort anywhere else.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »
The worth of trying depends on the location. Flying Saucer locations give 25% off food. That's nothing to balk at IMO. I've saved $20 in one go using it on a table of 6 people.

Offline LeftyLucy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »
I wish I HAD an lhbs.  I live way up in the Frozen North where there are none.  Try getting your card honored at the bigger online venues.  In their shops, when I'm lucky enough to be near one, no problem, but online, forget it.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 05:20:37 pm »
Interstingly there's been an effort for a few years to get a verification api operating for membership benefits for online retailers. Don't know where that ended up
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 05:40:51 pm »
That could be tough as it would need to validate that the number is legit and in good standing + would need to validate the name or address to prevent sharing. Basically just as much effort as validating a credit card.