Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: KBS clone  (Read 2200 times)

Offline bigbeerhunter

• 1st Kit
KBS clone
« on: September 17, 2016, 06:19:43 am »
I am giving the kbs clone a whirl. I have 2 questions if anyone can help. Where would I obtain Belgium bittersweet chocolate to brew with and how would I add, squares, shredded? Also recipe calls for 2-6 months in secondary. Does anyone think they meant bottled conditioned or do they really mean a secondary. Thanks

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: KBS clone
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:47:52 am »
If you're set on Belgian bittersweet chocolate then your best options are likely (1) online or (2) local specialty grocery stores. If you can't find a Belgian option you like then I'd look otherwise for the best quality bittersweet chocolate you can find.

I think KBS is barrel aged for a while and that's going to mellow some of the flavors. I would not skip on time as an ingredient in that beer. I would personally bulk age it to emulate the small amount of oxidation KBS sees in the barrel.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:00:36 am »
You can find it on Amazon. But personally, I just go with Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate when making my breakfast stout inspired beer. It's chocolate going into a dark roasted beer. I wouldn't get too set on buying expensive chocolate that you won't notice a difference with.

Also, I recommend using the chocolate bars as opposed to the morsels. The morsels do not melt down as well in the kettle. If you break the bars up into quarter-sized pieces, they will melt perfectly in the beer. 
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 09:16:33 am »
KBS is made with Kona and Sumatra coffee.

I would definitely find a good Sumatra for that portion. Sumatra has a very earthy flavor that can range from chocolate to herbal. It's definitely part of that beer's flavor. Sulawesi would be a good substitute.

I would not burn the cash trying to find kona. Most kona exports are blends with 10% kona and you will pay a pretty penny for a good quality pure kona coffee. IMO kona is tremendously overrated. It's Guatemalan-sourced beans grown in Kona, HI. It is not so far off a good Guatemalan for its price and quite frankly you are losing all the delicate flavors that make kona what it is when you stick it in a beer. If you can't source a good Guatemalan then any decent Central American coffee would be your next best choice.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 09:25:58 am »
+1.  A good Sumatra is my favorite for any coffee beer. Love the earthy character in a stout. Also agree with Kona being vastly overrated for the price.
Jon H.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:07:20 am »
Sulawesi would be a good substitute.

Score some fairtrade Sulawesi :)

Will look for Central-American alternatives to Kona later.

As of now, all the worts have been combined and are rolling in the boil. Target single hops instead of Nugget & Willamette.
Will ferment with 1728 Scottish Ale.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote