Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole Foods  (Read 4022 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Whole Foods
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »
I couldn't resist.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:15:57 pm »
Three awesome beers.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:59:37 pm »
Except for the duvel. I had a blind beer recognition test in my beer judge course this afternoon and I failed to recognize the duvel. :(
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »
If that's all you got you have more restraint than I.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 06:01:21 pm »
Westmalle is the one for me. Westmalle and Chimay are the most consistent of the Trappists in my opinion. I have a good idea what I'll be getting with them.

Rochefort is glorious if you get the right example. In the end though, Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel are the cream of the crop in my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »
Westmalle is the one for me. Westmalle and Chimay are the most consistent of the Trappists in my opinion. I have a good idea what I'll be getting with them.

Rochefort is glorious if you get the right example. In the end though, Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel are the cream of the crop in my eyes.

I agree but add the Rochefort beer as consistently excellent, too. I love those beers every time I try one. And I think Chimay Cinq Cents is a very underrated tripel, where Westmalle deservedly gets attention.
Jon H.

Big Monk

Whole Foods
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 06:51:50 pm »
The way I've always tried to think about it is this:

Chimay - the most consistent, the biggest and somewhat bland (very relatively speaking here in terms of Trappists). I know exactly what I am going to get every time I crack one. Note that when I say "bland" I typically mean a suppression of some of the characteristic esters and phenols from the Belgian yeasts.

I love them. Here I am sipping a Premiere:

Westmalle - very, very consistent as well on account of being the second largest after Chimay. The Dubbel is incredible with a fair bit of age on it. The Tripel speaks for itself. I enjoy the 750 ml bottles.

Rochefort - very tough to classify with any certainty. There seems to be a consistent characteristic phenolic character that I don't enjoy all that much. It's been stated that fast fermentation is the cause but I can't say for sure. Rochefort seems to be the least consistent of the "big 3" (Westmalle, Chimay, Rochefort) but is the most glorious when presented with a prime example. As much as I enjoy Westmalle, a prime Rochefort 8 is the most incredible of all the Trappist beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »
I agree with Chimay beers being comparatively a bit more bland though I love them. I guess I just like the fermentation character of Rochefort more than you do as a whole - I have no issue there. My mood at the time determines whether I prefer the 8 or 10. They're just sublime IMO.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 07:10:09 pm »
I agree with Chimay beers being comparatively a bit more bland though I love them. I guess I just like the fermentation character of Rochefort more than you do as a whole - I have no issue there. My mood at the time determines whether I prefer the 8 or 10. They're just sublime IMO.

Rochefort 6 is very underrated and probably my favorite of the three. It's tough to get because it's brewed with less frequency than the others.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 07:16:27 pm »
Yep, love it too. I mean, we're splitting hairs anyway. Belgian beers, especially Trappists, are just amazing, period. I haven't made a big Belgian haul from my favorite liquor store in a while - this makes me want to. There'll be some De Dolle beers in there, too. Maybe next Friday.   :)
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »
Yep, love it too. I mean, we're splitting hairs anyway. Belgian beers, especially Trappists, are just amazing, period. I haven't made a big Belgian haul from my favorite liquor store in a while - this makes me want to. There'll be some De Dolle beers in there, too. Maybe next Friday.   :)

I live in Central NY and the Wegmans chain of grocery stores has an incredible beer selection.

I can get Westmalle Tripel, all of the Chimay beers, Orval, Rochefort 8 and Rochefort 10 there. I make special trips for Rochefort 6 and Westmalle Dubbel.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »

Chimay - the most consistent, the biggest and somewhat bland (very relatively speaking here in terms of Trappists). I know exactly what I am going to get every time I crack one. Note that when I say "bland" I typically mean a suppression of some of the characteristic esters and phenols from the Belgian yeasts.

Westmalle - very, very consistent as well on account of being the second largest after Chimay. The Dubbel is incredible with a fair bit of age on it. The Tripel speaks for itself. I enjoy the 750 ml bottles.

Rochefort - very tough to classify with any certainty. There seems to be a consistent characteristic phenolic character that I don't enjoy all that much. It's been stated that fast fermentation is the cause but I can't say for sure. Rochefort seems to be the least consistent of the "big 3" (Westmalle, Chimay, Rochefort) but is the most glorious when presented with a prime example. As much as I enjoy Westmalle, a prime Rochefort 8 is the most incredible of all the Trappist beers.

Rochefort is not big. ~18,000 bbls year. Much smaller than Chimay or Westmalle. Königshaven is the biggest.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 07:37:45 pm »

Rochefort is not big. ~18,000 bbls year. Much smaller than Chimay or Westmalle. Königshaven is the biggest.

I didn't mean size. They are just the most popular and well known of the Trappists. That's why I used the quotation marks. Orval is definitely bigger than Rochefort as well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:03:55 pm »

I didn't mean size. They are just the most popular and well known of the Trappists. That's why I used the quotation marks. Orval is definitely bigger than Rochefort as well.
Big 5 then?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 08:17:19 pm »
I went to the store just for the Duvel as I want to do a side by side against a homebrewed BSG I currently have on tap.  I was hoping to find the smaller bottles, but they have been impossible to locate recently.

My favorite Belgian beer at the moment is actually Golden Draak.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC