Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Salt in brown ales?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Salt in brown ales?
« on: November 13, 2016, 06:17:01 am »
I saw the article on Gose in the latest edition of BYO and wondered if anyone ever adds salt to beers in the dark part of the spectrum?  And if so, what quantity of salt?

Unfortunately, I just bottled some stout before the idea popped into my head, so I missed the opportunity of trying it.  Next time I may add some salt to the last half gallon in the bottling bucket and see how it will taste.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Salt in brown ales?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:39:34 am »
A little salt is rarely a bad idea.  A pinch is good, maybe 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons.  If you used much more than that, it could risk tasting more like a seawater oyster stout.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:41:33 am »
I have had an oyster stout, it was good

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:38 pm »
I like a bit of sodium in my malty beers. I don't know if you're looking to actually taste the salt, but I find about 50-70ppm of sodium (from kosher salt and/or baking soda) will boost some of the malt character without actually tasting like salt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer