Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA English Pale Ale (ESB) Recipe Efficiency  (Read 1827 times)

Offline apple

• Cellarman
  • Converting grains to good times, one mug at a time
AHA English Pale Ale (ESB) Recipe Efficiency
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:20:06 am »
I'm thinking of brewing an ESB for my next batch. I found the AHA English Pale Ale (ESB) recipe and thought it looked pretty good. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/english-pale-ale-esb-by-aha-members-brew-gentlemen-brewing-co/

When entering it in Beersmith I found that it must be set up for 82% efficiency? It makes sense given a 10 lb grain bill and a gravity of 1.062. I was just surprised to see that I would need to add 2 lbs additional grain (70% efficiency) to get up to proper gravity.

Am I doing something wrong? I couldn't find any indication in the recipe what efficiency they were assuming.

((also, if anybody can teach me how to insert a URL as a hyperlink to text I would appreciate it!))

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: AHA English Pale Ale (ESB) Recipe Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 12:40:12 pm »
Your not doing anything wrong. Brew the recipe according to your systems efficiency. Once you work out the kwerks and improve your system then your efficiency will increase. A couple $$ for extra grain isn't a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:01:58 pm »
Yep. No worries, just adjust your base malt amount up so your efficiency keeps you in the same OG as the recipe.
For other recipes, you may have to adjust your base malt down depending on the given efficiency of the recipe.

Offline apple

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 07:52:15 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting efficiencies in the mid to upper 80's when I was doing BIAB. I've since switched to three vessel with a RIMS tube. I have been crushing coarser to make sure I don't get a stuck mash with my recirc.

I'm not too excited a out having to use a little extra grain. I was just surprised that it took 20% more to compensate. I agree though, grain is cheap.

Offline Stevie

AHA English Pale Ale (ESB) Recipe Efficiency
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:23:47 pm »
You should try malt conditioning. You can crush finer without ripping the husks to total shreds. Adds a bit of effort, but I like my results. I batch sparse, but my run offs are more smooth.

ETA - Even if you don't adjust for a finer crush, I imagine you would see a benefit with your circulation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:25:31 pm by Stevie »

Offline apple

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:57:32 am »
You should try malt conditioning.

Already doing it!  :)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:50:33 am »
Then tighten up your mill a bit.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 07:48:11 am »
I agree with all the above. Efficiency can be tough when using a new system. I brewed a batch yesterday using my new corona mill and I went from 80% (using LHBS mill) to 92%... I had calculated my best bitter recipe using 72% figuring the new mill would need some kinks worked out! Long story short I was shooting for a 1.044 beer and ended up with almost 1.060!!
I had to do the math about 30 times before I finally believed it, I even double checked my hydrometers calibration twice. Luckily I was able to up the hops on the fly since I buy by the pound so it should be a great strong bitter.
It's tough trying to dial in a system, but the key is CONSISTANCY, so you can adjust your recipes.