Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Closed transfer and dry hopping in the keg  (Read 4279 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Closed transfer and dry hopping in the keg
« on: October 09, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »
Some questions for those of you who are doing closed transfers and who also dry hop in the keg.
I understand the keg purging process of filling the keg with sanitizer and pushing it out with CO2.
Do you then open the keg to put the dry hops in?
Do you "purge" the hops somehow? I've read/heard that the hops bring a substantial amount of O2 to the finished beer.
Finally, with the keg closed while transferring beer from primary, do you fill the keg by weight? Or, how do you know when the keg is full?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Closed transfer and dry hopping in the keg
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:25:34 pm »
I haven't done any keg hopping since I've started using kegs as primary, so I can't really comment on that.

As far as telling when the keg is full, I cold crash before jumping to my serving keg. Since the beer going in is ice cold, I can just watch the condensation line on the outside of the keg and feather the gas once it gets near the top. You can also tell by sound if you use your spunding valve as a vent when filling the keg. Or you can just wait until it starts spraying out of the spunding valve. Been there, done that, mopped it up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:27:34 pm »
I use a scale. Beersmith has a calculator that factors in finishing gravity, but a 41-42lbs is safe.

I push out the sanitizer and add my hops. I then purge and burp a bunch. I use pellets in a stainless filter, so I'm not too worried overall.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:30:01 pm by Stevie »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:51:53 am »
I am VERY worried. Will do my first closed transfer with my next brew and I'm NOT dryhopping. I'll do that when I'm all grown up.  ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:49 am »
I push out the sanitizer and add my hops. I then purge and burp a bunch.

Same here.
Jon H.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:55 am »
Thanks for the responses.
I try to fill to just below the in dip tube to avoid beer in the gas line and, when the keg is over-filled, it seems to take a lot longer to carbonate.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:53:57 am »
I dry hop the keg all the time it's not a problem. I've even released pressure and opened kegs to throw in more hops not going to hurt anything. We're talking IPA which your not going to age and should be drunk fresh so O2 should not be a problem.
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 06:22:43 am »
I dry hop the keg all the time it's not a problem. I've even released pressure and opened kegs to throw in more hops not going to hurt anything. We're talking IPA which your not going to age and should be drunk fresh so O2 should not be a problem.

I open the keg to add more hops to APA or AIPA on occasion, but I like to open the gas valve back up to let CO2 blow over the surface of the beer as I do it, though.
Jon H.

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 07:37:30 am »
You could but I'm not sure you have to. I've heard the co2 is heavier than O2 so if you're quick it's probably negligible
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:24:49 am »
I push out the sanitizer and add my hops. I then purge and burp a bunch.

Same here.

Same here too, word of caution. Go slow when transferring beer to serving keg, if you start out to fast, depending on the amount of hops, you will clog that screen.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 02:12:46 pm »

As far as telling when the keg is full, I cold crash before jumping to my serving keg. Since the beer going in is ice cold, I can just watch the condensation line on the outside of the keg and feather the gas once it gets near the top.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The only issue I have observed with this, is that the condensation line is usually below the actual line of the beer as it takes a bit of time for the condensation to actually form as the beer is filling the keg.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 11:52:00 am »
You could but I'm not sure you have to. I've heard the co2 is heavier than O2 so if you're quick it's probably negligible

That makes sense to me.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 10:24:11 am »
Is it a good idea to transfer from an auto syphon to keg outlet for a closed transfer? I have BMB and I'm not sure I would be able to add CO2 to transfer under pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:55:06 pm by juggabrew303 »