Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water profile for a Gose?  (Read 8944 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Bru'n Water profile for a Gose?
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:59:33 am »
I will be brewing my first sour next (a Gose).  I am unsure what water profile to use in Bru'n Water.  Any suggestions?

BTW, I am planning to mash for 60 minutes PRIOR to adding the acid malt, then mashing the whole thing for an additional 45 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:10:49 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Bru'n Water profile for a Gose?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:10:42 am »
I would ignore water profile and look simply at hitting mash pH and then having an appropriate amount of sodium chloride.  I don't recall how much NaCl I used, but I used a lot less, perhaps only 1/3 of what I've seen floating around the internet.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:19 am »
The maximum sodium level that should be used in Gose is about 250 ppm. That has been confirmed to me by an award winning Gose brewer and that agrees with the typically cited 250 ppm taste threshold for sodium.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »
The maximum sodium level that should be used in Gose is about 250 ppm. That has been confirmed to me by an award winning Gose brewer and that agrees with the typically cited 250 ppm taste threshold for sodium.

Thanks for chiming in Martin! 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
I would suggest yellow balanced for the mash. Which will be thrown off at the end of the boil with your NaCl additions. At least the mash pH will be good to go though. I would shoot for a 5.2 it were my gose.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
I too put a Gose in my queue as well. I saw this recipe that I may try after I see how my first one goes. Looked interesting.

http://homebrewacademy.com/gose-homebrew-recipe/

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:46:03 am »
I too put a Gose in my queue as well. I saw this recipe that I may try after I see how my first one goes. Looked interesting.

http://homebrewacademy.com/gose-homebrew-recipe/

Yes, I saw that during my research too.  I love researching and experimenting.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:47:30 am »
I think yellow balanced is the right target for the style. I would build the water without regard for your later salt addition to make sure you have all the other minerals where they need to be and then add the additional salt. I assume you'll add the additional salt at the end of the boil or later in which case you still need mash ph and calcium levels within a suitable range to get good conversion.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 07:25:19 pm »
I think yellow balanced is the right target for the style. I would build the water without regard for your later salt addition to make sure you have all the other minerals where they need to be and then add the additional salt. I assume you'll add the additional salt at the end of the boil or later in which case you still need mash ph and calcium levels within a suitable range to get good conversion.

Yes, I was thinking this would be best also.  My thinking about how to use Bru'n water to accomplish this is to put the salt on the spreadsheet to determine the amount of salt to add to the boil to get to the ppm target, then back it out of the spreadsheet and proceed like it is a typical beer mash.  Am I missing anything?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:39:44 pm »
Given that I am following the directions I read online to mash for 60 minutes without the Acidulated malt then an addition 45 with it...

I have calculated the water salt additions based on only the other malts, and I have hit all the targets for 'Yellow Balanced.'  However the mash pH is sitting at 5.54.  Normally I would add Lactic acid to drop it, but since I am going to be adding Acidulated malt, I'm thinking I will just add a portion of that to get down to my target pH, then add the balance of the Acidulated malt after the 60 minutes.  (4 oz. will drop it to 5.28)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:44:36 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667